Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Feb-2004, 21:10
Big Twin

I'm sure your right Kev...when the instructor got back to the pits I'm sure they did nothing but rip the pis$ out of him for the rest of the day...you can hear them now...cold tyres my arse!

Would it have happened if he had used warmers....dunno...maybe...maybe not. Surely any margin for error on the opening laps would be greater?

Again (back to the initial point) that this has nothing to do with going mental for the first few laps, but ALL to do with confindence. I'm not saying for one minute that having a set of warm tyres from the off means you can go at breakneck speed for the opening lap...infact almost the opposite, in that having one less thing to worry about means I can concentrate (as you say Desmondo) on lines/braking etc.
Old 04-Feb-2004, 22:14
500SD

Mood: head down
Tyre warmers...

Hi guys
sorry to jup in on the end , i bought tyre warmers from KLS -- www.kls.de i teamed up with 10 others and bought a set of GP-3D warmer with a 2 stage setting 60C and 80 C with a seamingly low power drain (nomal plug) heat up fast and with the 60C setting you can leave them on all day without and danger of damaging your tyres and just flick the switch over to 80C 20 mins befor you ride out they also us a carbon heat element rather that a metal wire for better heat transfer ...you have to ring for prices ect but they do team/club discount and also different coulor and lettering Hmmmmm nice.
Old 05-Feb-2004, 10:57
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
I bought some Diasec warmers last year for £130-thoroughly recommend them. I also rode the TZ last year without warmers-on slicks-at Donnington and lasted 1.5 laps of the warm up before losing the front at Coppice. The tyres felt bloody horrible whereas normally with warmers you can just go straight out and hammer it.
2 points, yes you do need a genny for lots of tracks-Cadwell, Mallory, Oulton. The warmers take 1.4 kilowatts of power so most 'suitcase' genny's are not powerful enough-I am getting a 2.2 Kw Honda for this seasons racing.
Even if you go to tracks with power get one of the blue plugs, they are about £4.00-at least that way with an extension lead and 13amp and blue industrial plugs you will be prepared for all eventualities.

John
Old 05-Feb-2004, 11:12
Mille

I contacted Tyr Sox in the US for a quote based on 8 sets of 240v warmers(although 5+ is needed for the lowest price)

They are prepared to sell them to us at the trade price and will logo up the inners, outers and storage cases with the club logo f.o.c. A variety of colours are available.

£2000 USD's including Fedex shipping, delivery is 1 week from receipt of a wire transfer, which at 1.75/GBP = £1145 = £145 per set in round numbers.

Check out www.tyrsox.com.

What do you all think??
Old 05-Feb-2004, 11:18
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Dunnie: That's a result. That's a very good price for one of the most respected names in tyre warmers. The logo idea is a nice touch. Are they cheaper without the logo?
Old 05-Feb-2004, 11:20
Big Twin

Nice one, are you going to get stung with any kind of taxes etc when they are delivered?.

guess its time to make a few phone-calls...thanks for the help guys

I will post here the news asap.

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by Harv748]
Old 05-Feb-2004, 11:36
Mille

Harv,

if you can let me have your email address I will forward a copy of their quotation to you.

I believe the logo's are free on 5+ orders but at around £145 per set the offer is very good indeed.

Not sure about the VAT status tho'.
Old 05-Feb-2004, 11:42
Big Twin

you've got u2u...would appreciate the quote.

I just remember people saying about buying stuff from ebay-US...and having to pay extra when its delivered because it didn't include this and that tax? Its hard enough buying stuff first hand over there...often the price you see is not the price you end up paying!!

Anyone have any experience in buying stuff from the states like this?
Old 05-Feb-2004, 11:47
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
I need warmers, please count me in on this.

After 500+ miles around Jerez this week, I can vouch big time for the value of warmers....they are FABEROO...just gun it from the start, none of the 2 laps at slow speed...My mates bikes had them and I didn't ...boo hoo.

WeeJohnyB
Old 05-Feb-2004, 16:51
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Might want to check for hidden charges for the stateside stuff...

I obtained a professional qualification from the states a month or so ago and they sent me a framed certificate. Cost me £20 in customs charges .... for a certificate If something so fundamentally worthless can cost £20, tyrewarmers might cost more