Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Dec-2003, 20:04
Big Twin

shredded belts

havin noticed a bit of black dust escaping from under the bottom of the covers I deccided to investigate. I took the cover off to discover the belts disintergrating. I also discovered a small stone that had been hoping arond inside there playing havoc wedging itself here and there and rubbing on the belts. good news is i discovered it in time to avoid catastrophie,

Question can a small stone ( size of a large peanut) get in there on its own?

Ive only done about 200 miles on my 996r since i got it, when (?) as part ogf the agreed deal from the dealer they put new belts on her as she was coming up for her 2nd birthday.

is it more likely the stone (fell) in there at this time?

If the latter then how would ypou appraoch the dealer. As i think this a bit more care should be taken to ensure all is appropriatley put back together, ie nothing in there that should not be.

any one had anything like this happen,

i feel i shouldnt have to be paying for new belts after only 200 miles, or should i put this down to experiance.

i
Old 29-Dec-2003, 20:35
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
I'd say if the belt covers were replaced correctly, then no. There's no way a stone would get in.
The only way I can see of it getting in is either one of the covers wasn't on correctly, or as you say, it fell in there when the belts were replaced.
This is easily done if it's sat on/near the cover, maybe even held there with a bit of road tar etc.
I'd have a word. You're right, you shouldn't be paying for this. See what their reaction is. If they get ****y over it then make it more formal??
Old 31-Dec-2003, 10:57
Big Twin

thanks for your veiws Nelly, i will keep the board informed as to dealers reaction.

not really sure how to make it more formal, except by posting the facts for other members to read,

thanks
Bungi
Old 06-Jan-2004, 12:37
Bevel Head

Mood: Spring is coming, but its a bit
Whooaaa.. I had exactly the same on my 998. If I remember correctly it was due to a missing shim on the belt tensioner. The inside faces of the cambelts were disintegrating rapidly, bits of kevlar were sticking out of the covers and dust was everywhere. The bike had done 800 miles when I got it and the problem hadnt manifested itself before then, but I dont know what triggered it off.
Id say it was almost impossible for a stone to get in there and cause that kind of damage. Dont ride it if you have already notified the dealers, get them to come and pick it up as you might invalidate the warranty (should the worst happen) as you know about the problem.

cheers,
Ben
Old 08-Jan-2004, 22:08
Big Twin

bikes outa warranty anyhow ben, twas 2 in august03,

anyhow have contacted the dealer to discuss the problem, agreed no way a stone can get in while covers coreectly fitted and they were, so must have fell in when they changed the belts.

dealer happy to fit 2 new belts FOC, so no complaints there, will be taking the girl round sat on the trailer

Bungi
Old 12-Jan-2004, 09:14
Bevel Head

Mood: Spring is coming, but its a bit
Hope that it was just the stone and nothing else - keep an eye on it for excess dust around the covers and bits of frayed belt sticking out. If it happens again, suggest to them that they might want to check the shim on the tensioner.

cheers,
Ben