Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Dec-2003, 20:45
500SD

Sidestand switch wiring - HELP!

Has anybody used a side stand with cut-out switch from a late Duc on an early one and got the switch working?

I know Ducati do a full retro fit conversion but it's about £240 and comes with loads of bits you don't really need. However, the small wiring harness you get with the kit is not available on its own and my local dealer has never fitted one so can't tell me where the wiring hooks into the original harness.

I could work this out from the wiring schematics but it would be easier to get the info from someone that's already done it. Sheer laziness really!

Any info gratefully received,

Neil.

P.S. Does this sound like a Shazzam question . . . . or is it just me?

[Edited on 18-12-2003 by neil748r]
Old 19-Dec-2003, 06:13
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by neil748r

I know Ducati do a full retro fit conversion but it's about £240 and comes with loads of bits you don't really need.

I think you will find you do need all the bits.The switch and wiring will not just bolt onto the early models.The hanger plate and stand in the kit is differant to allow for this.Included in the kit is a new fairing lower.This has got a larger hole for the stand and switch to fit in.
As for the wiring,It looks like the switch operates a relay that plugs in somewhere,then there is a link to the neutral light switch.
I guess full instructions come with the kit.
Old 19-Dec-2003, 11:30
500SD

Thx KB,

I should of said the kit contains bits I don't really need. I've got a spare side stand with switch and just want to find a way to wire it up. I know it needs a relay (easily got) but what I don't know is where and how to connect everything into the bikes original wiring.

The Ducati "kit" wiring will no doubt plug right in without having to chop up or alter the original loom (def don't want to do that!) so I need to know how they achieve that. OEM connectors, relays etc are not a problem and I can easily make the necessary new wiring if I have the wiring schematic for it.

Neil.
Old 19-Dec-2003, 12:22
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
I believe the wiring diagrams are part of the owner's manuals which you can download from the Ducati website. Compare your schematic with that of a new bike and it should become fairly evident what you need to do.
Old 19-Dec-2003, 13:29
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
It's in the Haynes to, with a "2001 model only" tag showing the switch and relay.
Old 19-Dec-2003, 14:40
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
You should also be able to see how it's done from the parts manuals for the later bikes:
http://www.ducati.com/bikes/catalogs.jhtml
Old 19-Dec-2003, 16:29
500SD

Thanks guys,

Yeah, I've got all the Ducati wiring diagrams but if you compare them, the wiring for a '96 748SP is totally different to the later bikes that use the side stand switch. Still be possible to do though.

I just wanted to do it in the neatest way without having to alter the original loom - as in the way that Ducati do it with their upgrade kit.

Oh well, it'll give me something to do I suppose . . . . .

Neil.

P.S. If anyone's fitted the sidestand upgrade kit, please get in touch!
Old 21-Dec-2003, 20:52

I fitted a sidestand cut-out on my '99 748. Had none of the correct kit other than the actual sidestand switch. Got 2 relays from Maplin and bodged 'em in somehow. Can't remember how I did it exactly but found I had to use 2 relays 'cos of the way the neutral light was wired (gettin' back feeds through the neutral and stuff!!) Once I had worked out what wires to put where, ran 'em through a bit of heat shrink sleeving to tidy it all up and Bob's your Uncle! I'd have a rummage and see if I could trace my wiring for you, but the bikes still not back from the repairers 2 months after my slide!! (Accident was in no way related to my cut-out switch by the way )