Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Jan-2004, 19:01

Mood: Variable
Swing Arm removal

Alright technical types. I'm resurrecting an older 748 & need to take the swinging arm off. Previous owner ran the bike with the eccentric 180deg out & I think the chains been gnawing at the arm. It's also incredibly manky & I get perverse joy from digging about in all the goo that accumulates behind front sprocket.
Removal of the bolt from the RHS was easy enough but the spindle cum sleeve with the big Allen head was seized. Application of a monster lever got it turning but no way can I get it to move sideways. I assume it's stuck in the bearings.
Short of assaulting it with a big hammer & drift or slinging half a bike in the back of the car & heading for the engineering shop does anyone have any ideas ?
Help !

Robbie
Old 01-Jan-2004, 20:50
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
do a search for "swingarm" on the old board (link on main page) there is some very helpful advice.

hope this helps
Old 02-Jan-2004, 08:27
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Get a Nonda!
Old 02-Jan-2004, 10:08
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Robbie, I had a similar problem with mine a couple of years back.
A big drift and a hammer will come in useful , but the thing I did was to get a hold of some 12mm or 14mm threaded bar and some long bits of stout tubing, steam pipe is good.
I then used it as a draw bar, through the center of the pivot, to put lots of pressure on the pivot and then drift it out. Tightening it as the pivot moved.
It's not easy. It took me about 2 hours!!
Old 02-Jan-2004, 12:01

Excellent idea Nelly ! I think there may be some threaded rod in the shed too. I've got my old man turning up a sized drift on his lathe but I may try this first.
Old 02-Jan-2004, 12:17
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
If you've got turning capabilities, I have the Ducati drift I could measure up for you.
Pretty self evident though, but if you need the dims, let us know.
Old 02-Jan-2004, 22:09

Hah ! Ducati make a drift.That rather suggests they know the things seize but dont bother making with the grease anyway.
Anyway I faked up a puller type thing as you suggested & have managed to move things maybe 4mm or so. Have left the tension on overnight & will hit it again tomorrow.
Am slightly concerned as bike went down on RHS at Knockhill & I worry things may be a little twisted in the frame department. We'll see.
Old 03-Jan-2004, 23:02
Montjuic

In my opinion, it's not a case of the spindle seizing, I beleive they actually miss shape over time. I measured mine for run out after a long removal process and it was basically bent. Get a new one when you get it out!
Old 03-Jan-2004, 23:56
500SD

Mood: head down
swing arm

had the same problen on my 996 after i crashed it , the axle was bent! had to saw it off in the end
Old 06-Jan-2004, 21:23

Saw it off eek. How do you saw through a swing arm spindle ?
I put loads of tension on the draw bar affair tonight & it eventually just snapped ! Spindle still sitting there immobile. Wonder if there's a hydraulic press locally (unlikely). Am starting to get a smidgeon discouraged