Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Jun-2005, 19:15
GTL
Bikes: Ducati 888, Suzuki RG500, Triumph Preunit

Mood: On the up
newbie 888 query

Hi Guys,

After years (and years) of lusting after a Duke, I've finally bit the bullet and bought a nice original 888 Strada (16,000 miles) off eBay. Its a bit of a culture shock after my RG500 but I'm slowly getting to gribs with the handling!

My query relates to what constitutes 'normal' levels of engine vibration. The engine is super smooth up to about 6,000rpm but above that there is noticable tingling through the bars when giving it serious stick. Nothing major but given its a Ducati I'm paranoid that it may be an early sign of bearing wear somewhere! The belts and valves are due for change/check very soon so I'm intending on dropping the engine out later on in the year for a careful check

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Keith
Old 03-Jun-2005, 19:29
Ducati Corse

Hi Keith and welcome to the elite part of the DSC!If you are due a belt change,i would suggest you do it NOW!!The consequences of one snapping is horrendous.The 888 do vibrate a fair bit when given there head and if there is an underlying problem there tends to be more than tinkling(ie knocking or excessive vibration).They are not known fro bearing failure.Clutch and alternator nuts is about it(oh and recifiers!").Enjoy-but get those belts done!!
Old 03-Jun-2005, 19:40
GTL

Thanks Jasper. Theres certainly no knocking or what I would consider excessive vibration so it sounds like all is fine. The 2 year mark for the belts is up in late July but they have only done a few thousand miles so I assumed I'd be OK for a few months yet (I'm assuming they will be the later stronger Kevlar belts)? The regular is recent (as is the clutch) so hopefully just tidying up to do.

Keith
Old 03-Jun-2005, 22:10
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
Hi Keith
Very good choice but as Jasper says get those belts changed ASAP if the bikes been standing for anytime the belts take the shape of there stationary position.
this was shown to me by the previous owner of mine off the bike the old belts formed a perfect shape of the cam positions.
when you throttle up they can jump one or two teeth with major consequences.
Get the belts changed and the shims checked.
I've just given mine a major overhaul and i found the following, head bearings shot, throttle body linkage stiff needed cleaning and greaseing, new fork oil and seals, changed all wheel bearings,greased all suspension bearings.
check swinging arm where allen bolt clamps onto shaft mine was cracked and is quite a common problem.
change the coolant and flush the radiator thoroughly.
good luck and enjoy the best Duc of all.
ian
Old 04-Jun-2005, 10:27
GTL

Thanks for the further feedback Ian. I certainly won't be doing many more miles before a full check-over as I've (unusually) got two bikes on the road at once (the RG500 will get to do the track day this year).

Its got a fairly good service history (and only been kept off the road during winters) but I'm never happy unless I've checked everything carefully myself.

I must say that the 888 motors pretty good even when compared to a tuned RG though the engine braking around tight roundabouts sure takes some getting used to! I've never been into the hang-off style but found it comes naturally on the Ducati. I'm certainly looking forward to getting on a track next year when its all sorted.

Keith
Old 04-Jun-2005, 19:44
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Keith,

Welcome. Where are you based?

Rgds, Rob
Old 05-Jun-2005, 09:11
GTL

I'm based in Nottingham. I see there is an evening club meet not to far from me on Tuesday so I'm going to try and see if I can make it.

Keith