Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 19-Sep-2005, 09:39
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
Metal Experts

OK I have some black pitting on the up pipes to my exhaust cans, I would also like to polish them up to be more of a stainless/chrome kind of finish.

Is it possible to achieve these results with the standard pipes (Ducati 748).

If so what's the best way to achieve it?

Thanks
Old 19-Sep-2005, 10:03
500SD

Mood: Not sure
They can be polished, quite hard work and you need a decent drill and a polishing kit from M&P with different grade polishes and mops. You can also send them off to be polished.

Darren
Old 19-Sep-2005, 10:08
500SD

I'll look into that then, I like to do most things myself as I get more satisfaction from it.

Thanks
Old 19-Sep-2005, 11:28
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I think it was Derek who gave a good tip on the ST forum about using Wonder Wheels on the exhaust to help get rid of the discolouration. On ST's the horizontal cylinders exhaust lives out in the open and runs under the engine where it's exposed to all manner of road dirt. Even though it's stainless steel (although not a fabulous grade of stainless) the exhaust gets discoloured to a dull brown and looks a bit pitted in places on nearly all ST's.

Haven't had time to try Wonder Wheels out myself yet, but it seems a good tip. Could help trying that before polishing to save a bit of elbow grease

[Edited on 19-9-2005 by Jools]
Old 19-Sep-2005, 11:47
500SD

Thanks but it's not just the pitting I'm wanting to polish them up for, I'm wanting to get that see your face in it high polish effect, I believe you can get a different finish on the metal by applying a high polish to it??

For the pitting so far I haven't tried too hard as I want to do a full polish job on them but I have tried Autoglym Tar Remover, which normally rids most things but didn't seem to touch it, I also tried petrol which also rids most things. Again didn't have much affect.

I'll try the wonder wheels though thanks for the tip.
Old 19-Sep-2005, 13:42
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
I have been quite succesfull polishing up my stainless pipes but offen wondered if the same effect can be had with the alloy parts on my bike. I have seen for sale on ebay polished, yokes, foot pegs ect. Are they just standard items polished?

[Edited on 19-9-2005 by Col996s]
Old 19-Sep-2005, 13:50
500SD

They maybe standard parts polished as I know a lot of company offer services to send parts away to be high polished.

I'm thinking of getting a polishing wheel so I can polish up a lot of my own standard parts.

I think the service is there for those who can't or don't want to be bothered with the hastle of doing it themselves. Apart from the initial outlay on the polishing kit, it's just time so it's a lot cheaper to do it yourself and personally I get more satisfaction from that, than just buying an already polished part.
Old 19-Sep-2005, 14:01
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
Quote:
Originally posted by 748IOM

I think the service is there for those who can't or don't want to be bothered with the hastle of doing it themselves. Apart from the initial outlay on the polishing kit, it's just time so it's a lot cheaper to do it yourself and personally I get more satisfaction from that, than just buying an already polished part.

I'm with you on that one. It's just that I tried a small area of alloy and it didn't seem to come up as it should
Old 19-Sep-2005, 14:06
Ducati Corse

I tried polishing my footrests. Chuffing impossible! Pay someone to do a propper job!
Old 19-Sep-2005, 14:46
500SD

It is a bit more than just applying a buffing wheel to the items.

I've found a link that may help.

http://www.finishing.com/0800-0999/800.shtml