Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Sep-2003, 22:13
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Which Hugger?

Want a carbon chain guard/hugger combo but dunno where to start! Is the DP item the best option or is it better (I know its cheaper) to go for the carbon shock cover?

Your valued opinions please!

Old 09-Sep-2003, 22:58
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The DP stuff is guaranteed to fit well, but I've found it to be a bit flimsy and not that good a quality. Especially for the money.
Look up ripsnortingvtwin off this board. His stuff is the business and not expensive.
Old 09-Sep-2003, 23:41
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 996R and MV Agusta F4 1000R

As nelly says the dp stuff fits well, but can be flimsy and pricey. I have a dp hugger fitted and find the that its of a good quality, its been on the bike for 11K now and still looks as good as new.

My 748 had a hugger from tecmoto fitted, and that was a good quality item at a reasonable price. I think tecmoto have a deal going on huggers at the moment so it may pay to give them a ring.
Old 10-Sep-2003, 07:12
Mille

Rips (Mikes) website here.
His stuff is excellent.
Have you considered a chain guard and rear shock guard rather than hugger? Not quite as effective at keeping all the crap away from the bike - but looks the dogs!
Old 10-Sep-2003, 10:19
Montjuic

Mood: Deeply Grooved....
I bought a Casoli combo chain guard and hugger a while back - I recommend that you avoid this particular product. The hugger tapers off too much towards the rear of the bike so does not give that much protection to the rear shock.

Also, the 'rivnuts' that are used for mounting the shroud for the rear brake hose onto the top of the chain guard pull out - Luckily for me, the hose did not get scrubbed by the tyre. The 'rivnuts' had not been installed properly (watch out for this on any similar products and make sure the 'rivnuts' have been well flanged after passing through the holes in the carbon and that they have not been expanded into the hole).

Old 11-Sep-2003, 08:36
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
I fitted a DP hugger and chain guard and thought it fitted very well, its a good idea to drill and tap the swing arm to secure the bottom of to stop it flapping around. No problems at all and it looks nice.

Pays yer money etc etc etc
Old 11-Sep-2003, 10:02
Big Twin

I'm with PaulK on this...a hugger ruins the lines of the rear end...which is the best part in my view.

Go for a shock guard and seperate chain guard. Will cost about the same (maybe a little more) but offers protection on the bit that counts (ie the shock) and looks 10 times better.
Old 12-Sep-2003, 22:54
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
seen a couple on ebay today, may be worth a look.

I agree with others that the hugger spoils the back. Mine was fitted when I bought is but if I was looking to buy new now I think I would go for a shock guard.
Old 13-Sep-2003, 15:48
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Which on gives the best protection?

Not to concerned about how it looks, so which gives the best protection the largest one I guess.

Seen the tecmoto one and ripsnorting one and the tecmoto one seems to cover the tyre more. Anyone know which gives best protection? the tecmoto one being £120.

How about the Dp one?

Thanks

Lee1980
Old 13-Sep-2003, 20:02
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Got the DP carbon hugger on order

£135 incl fitting from CMW's open evening!

From what I've seen the DP item gives best coverage for a hugger, I quite like the looks compared to a bare wheel and shock cover and it's a wee bit cheaper too!