Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
View Poll Results: shall we have a cooling off period until the 18th nov meeting and have an amnetsy?
yes 45 81.82%
no 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-Oct-2006, 23:45
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
No, you can't get children to eat sprouts.
****ssd ay.
Old 22-Oct-2006, 23:46
GTL

Mood: Annoyed and confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy
I like sprouts

No. You can't get children to eat sprouts.
Old 22-Oct-2006, 23:53
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Mine do.
Old 22-Oct-2006, 23:53
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dseered
Rally, my take aswell, everyone in a padded room and we don't come out till its sorted TBH as I have not yet started my first season I will be doing alot of listening, I don't know the half of it, any way, enough, respect the thread man

Xzacaly get back on thread.
Old 23-Oct-2006, 00:06
GTL

Mood: Annoyed and confused
Quote:
Not sure if that was aimed at me, if it was, forget it, Personal Message, to me means exactly that, if I disagree with it I will take it up with the author, or the webteam.

So why post the comment then?
Old 23-Oct-2006, 00:20
500SD

Quote:
Rally, my take aswell, everyone in a padded room and we don't come out till its sorted TBH as I have not yet started my first season I will be doing alot of listening, I don't know the half of it, any way, enough, respect the thread man

Sorry Ian, that's not what I'm saying. Everyone who has said 'Yes' is answering the proposition:
"We stop posting about DD issues. The MT reinstate all banned/moderated members and halt all 'investigations'"

Everyone who has said 'Yes' is going to stop posting about DD issues.

Are the MT going to reinstate all banned/moderated members and halt all 'investigations'?

If not then everyone who said 'Yes' is getting a bad deal. If not then the proposition may as well read:
"We stop posting about DD issues ALLOWING the MT to continue to ban/moderate members and CONTINUE all 'investigations'"
Old 23-Oct-2006, 11:38
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
this post has been up for a couple of days now and a good number of votes has come in with a majority going for the cooling off/anmesty option.

could the MT post up an 'official' response as to whether this is acceptable to them?

thanks in advance.
Old 23-Oct-2006, 14:00
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
When I said 'me too' I was expressing a personal agreement that a period where everybody backed off from posting contentious 'tit for tat' emails around DD was a superb idea. In terms of a cooling off period for everybody concerned, with whatever point of view, over DD topics - that's a good idea too. My personal views - independent of my MT membership.

Remember though that some people are under moderation for repeatedly breaking the forum rules that we are all requested to adhere to. All posts, by all members, can be reported by the whole membership if they are felt to be beyond the bounds of acceptable behaviour and some people are moderated because people from the wider membership have called for it. In many cases their moderation has nothing whatever to do with DD

Moderation is a temporary measure, designed to let people cool off before posting again. It does not mean that those people are banned from posting, it simply means that their posts are screened for any further breach of forum rules. The webteam moderators attempt to exercise this with utmost objectivity and people on both sides of flame war arguements have found themselves being placed under moderation.

Do the webteam always get it right? Of course not. It's a very, very difficult job to do especially when everybody, with whatever shade of opinion, seems to be firing from the hip. I am not a moderator, but those people who are moderators have had to face charges of bias because they've left threads open that others feel should be removed for a few minutes longer than their own threads lasted before being removed. I think it's only fair to remind people that being a moderator is a voluntary position that does not mean being on duty 24 x 7 monitoring every thread. There is also a view that if you're moderated it affects your ability to put your views forward because you do not have 'real time' access, however, it is entirely possible in my view to summarise your arguements and present them without using language that would not get past a moderator

'Amnesty' is an often misused word. What it means is that whatever somebody has done they are granted the status of absolute innocence.

So, in message board terms should we allow people to post whatever they like without any consequence? Should we simply overlook any, and all, posts that break the rules that members have voted for? Should we back off from enforcing the rules that members have voted for simply because people who are currently the subjects of enforcement of these rules shout loudly about it? The membership of the club have voted for the website to be accessible (in all but one forum) to anybody that wants to post. Should we let non-members roam free to use the resources we pay for for whatever purposes and agenda they hold, regardless of whether they have the clubs interests or damaging it in mind?

My own view is, in that direction lies a Visordown type forum. There are plenty of examples. One that springs to mind is the vicious attack that Jewell (a non-member) made upon GXSRAge (another non-member). We banned Jewell because that is what a statistically valid number of members wanted. We could lift that ban and simply pretend that it never happened - that's what 'Amnesty' truly means, but if that's what members want let's have another look at the forum rules at the AGM.

'Amnesty' over any other club related issue?

The MT don't have the power to grant 'Amnesty' to anyone. The MT are simply the people whom the membership has voted for and entrusted to look after the interests of the club and to try to promote it's success.

Within that framework, the MT are required to act as arbiters of any disagreement between club members, or other matters that materially affect the club and it's assets. In the current situation, some club members (no, not MT members, nor MT supporters - if there are any) are demanding an explanation from others over their course of action. Simple as that.

I'm going to stop now. I fully support the idea of 'peace breaking out', but I can't help feeling that, being asked by others to respond, and making this reply in return has already contravened the spirit of calling a ceasefire that the original post called for.

That's going to be my last public word on the whole issue. If anyone wants to talk to me about it PM me.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^

Last edited by Jools : 23-Oct-2006 at 14:18.
Old 23-Oct-2006, 15:09
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
DD Amnesty; 'If you've not got anything interesting or constructive to say then don't say anything'....works for me!
Old 23-Oct-2006, 15:22
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
i was using the term amnesty purely relating to events that have already taken place:

"also how about an amnesty?"

"forget what happened; who did what to whome; reinstate all banned/moderated members; halt all 'investigations'; wipe the slate clean; have the meeting; let everyone air their views; improve the series and move on."

it was really just an attempt for everyone to say, "its got stupid, let bygones be bygones and start afresh"

i would hope that with 90% in favour of this option the MT would embrace it.
i know most of the MT have read it and would hope a 'collective MT' statement could be posted.

i am fully aware each MT member may have their own individual views.