Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Sep-2003, 09:07
Ducati Corse

After having three new rockers in my ST4 I am just as fed up with it as Rushjob is. Its even more worrying when i went into Chris Clarkes (last summer) to chat about general stuff and they had never heard of there being a rocker problem! They had also never heard of anyone putting a 14 tooth front sprocket on an ST2 and didnt think it would fit anyhow!!

Re the Megacycle rockers, i have even heard of these failing so theredoesnt appear to be an answer.

My ST4 was always warmed up, oil changed at 3000 miles intervals etc yet had eaten three rockers in 6000 miles.
Old 23-Sep-2003, 10:02
Ducati Corse

Grew up with Hondas in the 70s so I change the oil every 1,200 miles, filter every 2,400 miles, always let it warm up on tickover and have everything crossed .......
Old 23-Sep-2003, 10:18
500SD

Mood: Relaxed - don't worry about things you can't change
Is it not about time we ,as a group of concerned Ducati owners, took on Ducati Uk over this issue (1 rocker on 996S at 6000 miles...and worried about being out of warranty next April!)?
Old 23-Sep-2003, 13:50
Ducati Corse

Yes, i'm with you on that one Phil. I was going to have it out with them but my bike missed its 2 year service at an authorised dealer so they dont want to know.

We should all get together and make Ducati aware of how widespread this problem really is. I know Watchdog reported about the subframe problems on the GSXR1300, the rocker thing must affect a lot more people (okay so it isnt safety related) so they might be interested in this.
Old 23-Sep-2003, 16:55
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
Bearing in mind what Logyk says, A claim in the small claims court would cost about £50. I would be happy to put a tenner in. I do not know if its allowable to make a class action via this route. Even so a test case through the small claims court might resolve responsibility.
Old 23-Sep-2003, 21:45
Mille

Mood: The medication helps!
Failing rockers

I purchased a new 748s last year and have loads of problems from burning oil to warped discs! Ducati have been great warranty wise but what happens when it runs out!

I have not had any rocker problems yet! But reading this thread looks like i may have that to look forward to.

As a club i think we should certainly contact Ducati UK, remember devided you fall! What i am saying is it will be difficult to fob off a whole club and why should we be out of pocket for a design fault?

Mark
Old 07-Oct-2003, 20:59
Mille

Mood: Feeling Sad being Ducati-less :(
Having read all of this and with my 996s due a service - 3.5k and approaching 2yrs old I best get it in and have them check it before the warranty runs out !

Seriously though, it is annoying that if a problem like this is so widespread - which it seems, I think its only fair that Ducati as a company solve this - otherwise people will start shopping elsewhere - these are not cheap bikes to own or have serviced, so its the least we should expect - or extend the warranty period if they won't !

As regards the low mileage before I get flamed by everyone, those of you who know me, know I have another bike that I ride also, but I only ride on hot sunny days as I have a tin box with wheels for when its raining !!

Dave

[Edited on 7-10-2003 by muttsnuts]
Old 07-Oct-2003, 21:20
Dibble

996 bip, 4 rockers replaced at 12000 miles, yet they were fine at 9000 miles ..??

poxy things and DUK wouldnt pay the labour and only paid for the parts after the mother of all rows as the bike was 10 weeks out of warranty .. very much taints ownership ...
Old 08-Oct-2003, 09:15
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
An interesting subject this! I note that most, if not all, the replies concern the "older" engines.
What about the new Testastretta lumps.

I always warm the engine on my 998s b4 moving off but will i have the same problem with the rockers???

Any ideas about the new engines would be appreciated chaps!.
Old 08-Oct-2003, 10:27
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by rcgbob44
What about the new Testastretta lumps.

I'm sure it's been stated in other threads (probably by Shazaam!) that the Testastretta lumps have a redesigned head with an additional oilway to increase lubrication to the rockers.

Now this isn't going to solve the flaking chrome problem if it's simply down to bad chroming, but it may help prevent it from happening if it's a combination of factors which include poor oil feed to them.