Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue Series Information
Documentation & info to help prospective & current DesmoDue Racers

Old 30-Aug-2012, 13:00
Bikes: 600ss

Bugger !!!

Okay so the bike is just about complete ready for next years season, the bike was booked in for some dyno time and set up this week so I thought Id change the plugs, oil, filters etc.... you get the gist.

I took the old plugs out and the new plugs nearly fell through the heads, so I though Id got the wrong plugs but NO I had the right plugs just the wrong ENGINE !!!!

The plugs are a BP7***something which basicly fit a 400ss, so there I was running the bike locally for the first time the other day and thinking 'Really' is this all you've got and thinking the new exhaust Id just bought was causing the bike to hold back loads and it just needed a really good set up.

My question to you all is, Is the 400ss internal parts (except the barrels and pistons) the same as the 600ss as I will keep this for spares if so and also will the carbs etc be the same as the 600 but just need re-jetting or will these need replacing ?

Its just been one of those weeks, I travelled 2.5hrs to Hastings on Monday to look at a Van/Camper to use for next year, the guy new I was on my way and when I got there he said sorry mate I sold it 10 mins ago, first come first served he said, such a nice bloke............NOT.

You gotta laugh or Id cry.......
Old 30-Aug-2012, 15:10
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
What's the engine number? Should tell you which one it is...

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 30-Aug-2012, 20:04
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Have the heads got a letter stamped on them to the left of the plug hole and up a bit. The 600SS's have the letter K

If the plug threads had stripped then rather than get them helicoiled they could have taken them out to the next size replacing the standard DP8EA plugs with BP7s

As Antony says the Engine number on the left side of the engine below the alternator should indicate what engine size it is.
If its originally a parrallel import then they did have 33bhp versions in France and other countries, also people in this country did get 33bhp restrictor kits fitted.
Best to work out what you do have first Chad

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 30-Aug-2012, 20:37

Thanks Kev, Ill take a look tomorow after its been for its datlight MOT.....
One step forward two steps back hey, nevermind plenty of time to get it sorted before nxt season.
Old 30-Aug-2012, 20:40
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Yep no need to panic yet, where as the rest of us are at Cadwell in two weeks time

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 30-Aug-2012, 20:42

Yes and I need to get up there to say 'Hi' or possibly at Snetterton as its only half hour away from me.
Old 09-Sep-2012, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Have the heads got a letter stamped on them to the left of the plug hole and up a bit. The 600SS's have the letter K

If the plug threads had stripped then rather than get them helicoiled they could have taken them out to the next size replacing the standard DP8EA plugs with BP7s

As Antony says the Engine number on the left side of the engine below the alternator should indicate what engine size it is.
If its originally a parrallel import then they did have 33bhp versions in France and other countries, also people in this country did get 33bhp restrictor kits fitted.
Best to work out what you do have first Chad

Hi Guys, Iv been on Hols for a couple of weeks and not had chance to check the engine out until today, what I have found is this :

Engine Number: ZDM 500 A2C 000007

Letters stamped on the heads are: Front Head 'A' - Rear Head 'E'

Any help would be much apprecheated.........

Iv added a couple of photos of the engine so you can see what Im looking at....

Thanks C.

Last edited by spliff187 : 09-Sep-2012 at 15:50.
Old 14-Sep-2012, 18:46
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
pm sent