Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 26-Jan-2005, 13:16
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Race Starts

How is it done on a Duke??

On my last (Jap) bike i could happily fly off the lights with the throttle pinned, but on the Duke it just doesn't happen. Its so bad push bikes can sometimes beat me

I remember seeing Weeksy at Mallory and the biggest problem he had was the start, this seems to be similar with other Dukes I have seen at club races.

So just how do you do it?
Old 26-Jan-2005, 13:27
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
havnt got a clue......which may well put me at a disadvantage as im meant to be racing one this year
Old 26-Jan-2005, 13:34
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
When I want to make a searing getaway (well, as searing as an ST2 can muster), it just gets brutal.

Basically, I just lift the revs to about 5-6K (where the old dear is at her torque-iest) and wind the throttle right open from there. What makes it brutal is torturing the poor old clutch by slipping the living daylights out of it so that the revs stay up there and don't bog down.

Murder on clutches, but on a race bike you're probably no worried about how long a clutch pack lasts, as long as it see's you to the end of the race.
Old 26-Jan-2005, 13:37
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Jools

Murder on clutches, but on a race bike you're probably no worried about how long a clutch pack lasts, as long as it see's you to the end of the race.

Race!!! - its gotta last the season and beyond!!!!
Old 26-Jan-2005, 13:39
Ducati in my Blood

I think have a problem getting it past the 'dead' spot on the revs. Unless its up at 5 or 6 its just feeble and hardly pulls unless i dump the clutch which isn't fun really.

Happy to slip the clutch and it does seem more comfortable with the new slave. Maybe its just a fear thing and i should just open it up more?
Old 26-Jan-2005, 13:42
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Be angry Lily, very angry
Old 26-Jan-2005, 14:00
Ducati in my Blood

Quote:
Originally posted by tp-996
Be angry Lily, very angry

hmm, i am not very good at 'Angry' Tony, I am more your 'yeah whatever' kind of girl...

I just don't want to look a complete prat and stall it!!
Old 26-Jan-2005, 14:38
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
My starts last season were about 50-50 in terms of good and marginal. Never done one on a stock 748 which I think is what your on, right? On mine, I bring the revs to about 8000 RPM when the red lights come on. When the lights go out, at the same time feed the clutch out and pin the throttle. When I get it right, I usually make up at least 5-6 places. Once, I made it all the way to 2nd from 12th! Didn't last long, mind. When it doesn't work so well, I loose maybe a place or two. Clutch wear seems OK.

Best advice is to find a piece of private straight road on your vast estate and practise a few.

Are you coming racing then?
Old 26-Jan-2005, 15:09
Ducati in my Blood

its a 748r at the moment felix, but could progress to a 998s depending on a few things....

just thoughts for now, all depends on finances and how things go when i get on track really..... who knows
Old 26-Jan-2005, 15:23
Big Twin

As the advert goes:
Listen to the voices, they're all out to get you. The mini on your right wants to beat you to the next turn, wind the throttle on...NOT TOO MUCH....now a bit more, and a bit more, now loads of throttle and slip that clutch GO!GO!GO!GO!GO!GO!GO!
Whoops, they were still on red.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit