Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Mar-2006, 16:36
Mille
Bikes: 748R, ZXR 400

Mood: Glad to be back down south.
Whaaattt!!!! Only just noticed, how have you guys been cold starting it then? Never mind, not a choke but a device that holds open the throttle slightly via a wedge within the throttle mech to save you blipping. ECU works out the correct ratio mixture for cold starts via sensors and pure magic.
Old 23-Mar-2006, 16:37
Mille
Bikes: 748R, ZXR 400

Mood: Glad to be back down south.
Ooops! Twitchy fingers.
Old 23-Mar-2006, 16:48
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
The other thing to mention is that neither of my Dukes like to start if you dick about with the throttle, opening and closing it while trying to start.

Just crack the 'fast idle' button then crank it and leave the throttle alone until it catches. Works for me every time.

If I wally about with the throttle I just get the thing churning over and a few big backfires for my troubles.
Old 23-Mar-2006, 22:43
Mille

Well my Odyssey PC680 battery has arrived. Sad to admit but I have never changed a battery on a bike with an alarm before. It is a Datatool Veto Evo and unfortunately I don't have a manual so I have no idea if it will cause any problems if I just turn off the alarm whilst I change the battery. I'll have a look on the web and see if I can find a manual! Then I'll have to see about how to make it secure in the battery tray.
Old 23-Mar-2006, 23:07
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
When you connect the new battery (or clip a charger on a completely dead battery when it's on the bike) the alarm will go off - just switch it off with the keyfob like normal and the job is done.

My veto evo works like that anyhow
Old 23-Mar-2006, 23:10
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by david.hicks
Well my Odyssey PC680 battery has arrived. Sad to admit but I have never changed a battery on a bike with an alarm before. It is a Datatool Veto Evo and unfortunately I don't have a manual so I have no idea if it will cause any problems if I just turn off the alarm whilst I change the battery. I'll have a look on the web and see if I can find a manual! Then I'll have to see about how to make it secure in the battery tray.

David If you want a hand give us a shout I should be able to pop in tomorrow night if you want.

Old 24-Mar-2006, 18:53
Mille

Thanks for the offer Age ... I've managed to get the battery in OK. It is snug but it doesn't distort the fairing. I haven't tried starting her up yet (maybe I'll go for a spin tomorrow if the weather is fine) but my Halfords battery charger says that it is fully charged. Strangely though, my Optimate 3 is showing an amber LED for 'Charging' - anyone have any idea why this is? My guess is that it is something to do with it being an Odyssey high power battery. Does anyone know if the Optimate will do its job on an Odyssey?
Old 25-Mar-2006, 15:42
Mille

Well this morning the Optimate is showing a green LED so I guess everything is OK. Can't be sure though as it is chucking it down with rain so I won't be trying to start her up yet.