Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Apr-2006, 13:12
Big Twin

STM Slipper clutch help!

Just about to fit an STM 48t slipper to my 749R (one with 6 posts), I'm ok with most of the fitting, except the order of the plates and the stack height?

Which order do the plates go in and should the stack be about 35-36mm in height?

Can anyone give me some tips?

[Edited on 17-4-2006 by khu996]
Old 17-Apr-2006, 18:12
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
I believe it should be more or less the same has a Bucci or other make of clutch. You must start the pack seqence with a friction plate first then a dished plate ( dot towards you, friction pressure friction. The last pressure plate should have the dot facing in towards the pack. 36mm sounds right conserning the pack thickness, most I believe would measure the distance of the last pressure plate to the edge of the basket 4.5mm
Old 17-Apr-2006, 18:22
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon
I believe it should be more or less the same has a Bucci or other make of clutch. You must start the pack seqence with a friction plate first then a dished plate ( dot towards you, friction pressure friction. The last pressure plate should have the dot facing in towards the pack. 36mm sounds right conserning the pack thickness, most I believe would measure the distance of the last pressure plate to the edge of the basket 4.5mm

that 4.5mm bit...isnt that for a normal (proper) 6 post slipper.....is it the same?
Old 17-Apr-2006, 23:07
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon

that 4.5mm bit...isnt that for a normal (proper) 6 post slipper.....is it the same?

My STM is a normal (proper) slipper clutch!!

Jon, when you say pressure, you mean a plain steel plate right?
Old 18-Apr-2006, 07:54
500SD

here is a diagram drawn by JH himself!!!

www.khushy.com/clutch.jpg

khushy
Old 18-Apr-2006, 09:13
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by khushy
here is a diagram drawn by JH himself!!!

www.khushy.com/clutch.jpg

khushy

yeah, ive got one of those, it does help...............incidentally, did you mention to him it was a 48 tooth jobbie, and how did he react?
Old 18-Apr-2006, 13:34
Montjuic

Does your pressure plate contain holes over where the clutch centre pushes the plate out when it rises up the ramps? If so, measure the clearance between the underside of the pressure plate and the clutch centre with the clutch fully assembled. For the two slipper clutches that I've had (Ducati and Sigma) the gap should be between 1 and 1.5 mm, i.e. the centre has to rise up the ramps by 1 to 1.5 mm before it starts pressing on the pressure plate. Measuring the pack thickness out of the clutch means that you don't allow for the dishing on the dished steels. With the clutch fully assembled the clutch springs will have compressed the dished plates and you'll get a better indication.
Old 18-Apr-2006, 23:12
Big Twin

I've looked in the clutch plate pack that comes with the kit, and there are definitely no plates that are dot punched!!?? Does that mean that the STM kit does not use them, or do I have to get them separately?

The **** poor STM instructions don't mention anything about dished plates.
Old 19-Apr-2006, 00:44
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
STM offer two pack kits. they don't consider that a dished plate is required for racing, only for road.
It's a lottery as to which you get i'm afraid. Other than than that, there's no differences.
If you find the take up is a little harsh, then you can buy a dished plate from Ducati or use the one from your old clutch to replace one of the 1.5mm plates in the new STM pack.
Old 19-Apr-2006, 19:07
Big Twin

Thanks Nelly...looks like I will be ordering some dished plates!