Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Feb-2004, 16:44
Mille

2003 749s v 2004 749s

Has anyone bought the 2004 749s with the increased bhp if so is it noticeable?
The reason for the question i'm thinking of getting one to go to WDW and don't know whether to buy new or save some dosh and get a good s/h model.
Thanks
Old 02-Feb-2004, 17:06
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Haven't ridden either so this is just guesswork, but it's only about 8 Bhp difference isn't it?

I would've thought that for the price of a 2004 model you could find a decent 2003 model for a lot less. Riverside in Northampton were knocking out new 2003 spec. S's at about £1200 under list, but you'd get a low mileage one privately for what? Somewhere between 6.5 - 7.5K, probably with loads of carbon and Termis.

If you found one with Termis on, you would have enough money for some dyno time tweaking and probably get close enough to the 110 Bhp of the 2004 bike so as to make no difference, and still have enough change to pay for a good chunk of the WDW
Old 03-Feb-2004, 09:59
500SD

Mood: Not sure
MCN did a back to back test a couple of weeks ago, I'll see if I still have it and get it scaned for you if I can find it. I hear the 749s are hard to find new and used at the momment . Good job I already have one .

Darren

[Edited on 3-2-2004 by 748daz]
Old 03-Feb-2004, 10:29
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
Mrs egg got a 2004 , 749S last october (sounds silly but t's true) after her 2003 one was written off my a blind bint in a cavalier

The bike is not run in yet (the weather has been really crap here in Aberdeen for months now) but the engine does seem to rev a little easier than the old model , a lighter crank is supposed to be the reason for this.

There are a few other changes , the headlights now come on with the ignition , there is no switch , also the running light on the screen is now smoked and not as noticable as before.

You may be able to get a 2003 model slightly cheaper , I think only biposto's are available , all the mono's sold out ages ago.
Old 03-Feb-2004, 12:11
Mille

Many thanks for your replies much appreciated.A friend has in fact found the MCN article and has given me a copy.It does appear the 04 model is an improvement over the 03 wether its worth buying new for is a different matter!The only real reason for wanting one is i need a bike that is still under warranty for the WDW so if it breakdowns and needs repairing i dont have to worry about the cost.If i like the 749 i will keep it or will sell later in the summer.
Old 08-Feb-2004, 15:27
Mille

Anybody know some one who maybe thinking of selling there 749s ?
Old 09-Feb-2004, 10:02
500SD

Mood: Not sure
I'm toying with the idea .

Darren
Old 09-Feb-2004, 15:16
Mille

Darren,
I may be interested could you pls advise what you are looking for and spec of bike year,reg,miles etc.
Thanks
Old 09-Feb-2004, 17:55
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Blimey Daz,you've not had the bike 5 minutes!What have you got your eye on now,a Monster,I bet!
Old 17-Feb-2004, 22:13
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
The new 749s spins up much better and is a very different ride. Mind you as someone else said here, Id be tempted to go with an '03 model, and let somebody else shell out the grand for the termis !!!

As for going to WDW..just get yourself some decent breakdown cover and youll be fine..see you over there for a few cold peronis

Nat