Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Aug-2003, 09:56
Mille

D57 Termi\'s

First impressions.

Weight, not sure how much the titanium rear box saves but the bike definately feels lighter, both on the move and when being pushed around.

Sound, they wail. I could'nt see a BS stamp on the originals and the Termi's have no markings whatsoever. I wonder how that sits with PC Plod?

Fit, my only concern is that the rear-most pipe is very close to the swing-arm.

Performance, I notice a considerable difference. The bike has covered 2500mls and it was run in "hard". It is much more free revving throughout the whole rev range and feels like its breathing naturally compared to standard, which I always felt was somewhat suffercated. It pulls strongly now up to the limiter even in 5th and 6th, with no noticable fuelling problems or "holes". On the over-run theres no popping so I feel that the new chip is doing its job. The front lofts very easily now in 1st on standard gearing. I have noticed an increase in vibration above 6000 rpm.

Picky attached. In case any one is interested my rear end chop was cheaply sorted. Fit a single LED in the remote number plate wiring hole in the main light cluster (£15) and fabricate a simple 80-85 deg bracket to carry the number plate (I used an offcut of 1.5mm stainless sheet), fixed to the rear light mounting bolts between the plastic housing and the heat shield not forgetting some thread lock to counteract the reduced effective threadlength. (The Casoli kit is about £50)
Old 11-Aug-2003, 09:57
Mille

picky....
Old 11-Aug-2003, 11:20
Montjuic

You aren't kidding about a lack of clearance with the swing arm!

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but are you planning on getting a dyno run of the bike? I've been told that the 57mm system needs RS cams, compression and gasflowing of the heads to make them work properly, but I'm not convinced.
Old 11-Aug-2003, 11:59
Mille

The earliest that the bike will be on a dyno is November, its off to Sigma Performance this Autumn for a "Full Monty" and hopefully the magic they work will optimise the effect of the new pipes without major tuning, as has been suggested to you as being essential.

The thing is that the 57's are a good starting point. They allow the gases to exit asap and maximise the effect of any further tuning work at the business end.

As I understand it the fundemental tuning rule with twins is - big air in and big air out.

It will be interesting to see how much of a difference setting up clearances, settings and fueling acurately will make before spending money on new parts.

If anyone has any feedback on Sigma's work I would be interested to hear what you have to say.
Old 11-Aug-2003, 17:01
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
[i]Originally posted by uncledunnie
Picky attached. In case any one is interested my rear end chop was cheaply sorted. Fit a single LED in the remote number plate wiring hole in the main light cluster (£15) and fabricate a simple 80-85 deg bracket to carry the number plate (I used an offcut of 1.5mm stainless sheet), fixed to the rear light mounting bolts between the plastic housing and the heat shield not forgetting some thread lock to counteract the reduced effective threadlength. (The Casoli kit is about £50)
Or 27 quid from Italia Moto,Lincoln.
Old 12-Aug-2003, 14:39
Dibble

Uncledunnie,

For feedback on Neils (Sigma Performance) work I can put you in touch with a friend who had his 916 "Full Monty'ed" a few weeks ago, to say he was impressed would be mild ....

Neils work is very well carried out and he currently has my 996 in his grubby mitts at the minute doing some remedial work for me ....

I will be getting mine "Monteyed" at the next 12000 mile service (in about 1800 miles) but will get the "Grunter" cam settings .....

Dibble
Old 26-Aug-2003, 08:47
Montjuic

Does experience with the 916/996 really translate to the 999? I have reservations even with the 998, because the exhaust systems are of a different design as well as running larger airboxes.
Sure the basics of setting squish etc apply, as they do with all engines, but I know of at least one championship winning race team that cannot translate experience with tuning the 998S to the 999S. They are running the big exhaust, compression, RS cams, PCIII etc and seeing 138hp at the rear wheel. I am seeing more with the standard motor, PCIII and the asymetrical Termi's on the same type of dyno.
Old 12-Sep-2003, 03:02
Montjuic

After lots of annoying people, I decided on the 57mm termi system, then discovered that I would probably be waiting months for the kit to arrive.
I called JHP Ductai in Coventry UK, initially for advice on cam timing and dicovered that they actually had some systems in stock! The kit took 3 days from when my credit card was debited to be delivered to my offices. Excellent service indeed.
That was the good bit, but upon close inspection of the system, the welds are crap, there is flash that needs to be ground away on the inside of the pipes, weld dags etc etc. I am going to spend an hour or so cleaning the pipes up before fitting them. Frankly not good enough for a $3K USD system.
Next issue, the system is NOT 57mm, well not as I measure it. Apparently Ducati measures systems based on the largest external diameter of the pipe. In the main the internal diameter of the pipe is 54mm, not the 57mm I expected.
I am going to fit the system tomorrow, hopefully there won't be any issues with fitting.
Old 12-Sep-2003, 09:03
Mille

Sorry to hear about the quality of the JHP system Stehens. Believe me the DP system isn't the best either and I had a 6 months wait too!!!

I had to de-burr the pipes, tidy-up the manifold pipe gasket faces, dry fit the system and then refit using a suitable gasket cement at pipe joints as they were not air tight, some of the pipe "sockets" were even ovoid to start with! Oh, the heat shield on the 2-1-2 link pipe did'nt fit properly either, the welded brackets did not allow sufficient space for the original captive nut assemblies to be used.

Nothing in itself too much trouble, just time. Like you, not what I would expect to do with such expensive equipment.

However, the weld quality is good, especially on the rear box.

I will measure the circumference of the pipes this weekend and do a bit of maths. I'll post the results re-actual diameter.

I have been following the recent power debate threads with much interest and will try to get some dyno time in the next couple of weeks. I am interested to know given everyone elses dissapointment exactly what the bike is putting out. I'll post up the graph soon as.
Old 12-Sep-2003, 10:22
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
Mine were fine , welds were all cleaned up nicely straight out of the box , everything fitted exactly , old pipes off , new pipes on under 2 hours

Then it took ages to change the ECU and filters

Check the code on the box for the size , maybe they have sent you 54mm ones instead of 57mm , there are 3 sizes made , 50 , 54 and 57.

Allegedly the 57's rub on the swingarm (mine do) slightly