Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 17-Apr-2017, 21:22
Bikes: Multistrada 1200s

Smile My lost love 1098

Back in 2007 I had a new 1098 but having hit on hard times had to sell within 6 months. It's still one that plays on my mind. Regret.... I've been thinking about it over the last couple of weeks and thought that if it came up for sale I may be tempted to try and get it back if available. Bit sad and I wouldn't be able to for about 12 months but then you never know and if someone wanted to sell at that point it may work for both parties. Anyway,I've checked it out and it's had no MOT and been on SORN since May 2012. This is where I get cautious and why I've started this now rather than later in the year. I know the registration BX07 **Z. Probably not good form to add the complete number. It was a red standard and the chap I sold it to lived in the Hull area. Once again I know generally where but wouldn't want to narrow it down further openly in respect to him. I collected him the day we completed the transaction and I have good memories of the long conversation we had on the way down to the Midlands. He had a 748 and gave me the impression he would be keeping the 1098 for a few years. What makes me really cautious is the 5 years since last MOT'd. I know this could be as simple as taken off the road and now a track bike but also cautious that it may have suffered road damage and sitting somewhere as a result in which case a PM may be coming my way and I'll let it go....(or, it's still only plastic and metal and the rider is more important).
Anyway if anyone knows anything about it I'd love to know it's story.
I must have 'feelings' for it as I couldn't care less about my (and my wife says to my eternal shame)
SV650s, GSXr600(2), ZX6r(2), R1, 749s, Street Triple R, S2Rs, Monster 696, ER5, Z750, etc etc. I really think I'd have married the 1098 had fate not split us up

Cheers

Tony
Old 18-Apr-2017, 13:42
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

I feel your pain...

My buddy had this beauty for quite a few years before upgrading to a Panigale!

He is now also on an MTS and apart from the electronics system GOING TO SLEEP(!) he loves it.

I tend to think previous bikes are never quite as good visited again as expectations can be too high.

Onwards and upwards, I say and the new 937 Supersport looks Lurvly
Old 18-Apr-2017, 14:32

Smile

I know what you mean on the 'never go back'. She is a beauty though sat there on the ferry......And someone else's beauty now... :-(

I wouldn't drop the MTS. I'd intended to obtain/keep it on PCP and upgrade every 3 years. Then I thought this is good enough to keep and paid it off after 8 months in March. This led me to rather than upgrade buy an old 1098 or 848 if I couldn't find a 1098 that suited and keep the Multi. I could never think about dropping the Multi. I can't ride a sports bike more than 50 miles, urgh 40 miles, urgh 10 miles without being lifted off. In reality I think an 848 would suit my cowardly riding style more. I have this thing about pre Euro 3 (or was a 1098 Euro 2) bikes. I keep thinking when the world is electric we will never let go of our evil planet detroyers. (Euro 10 (??) included in this list) .

Hang on MTS electronics 'going to sleep' what's that about? Gulp...swap anyone :-)
I
Old 18-Apr-2017, 22:34
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic944ss
I feel your pain...

My buddy had this beauty for quite a few years before upgrading to a Panigale!

Isn't that the guy I saw on the ferry to Dunoon a few years ago?? Can't remember his name...
Old 18-Apr-2017, 23:18
WSB Hero

Norrie by any chance?

Last edited by Iconic944ss : 18-Apr-2017 at 23:23.
Old 19-Apr-2017, 14:42
WSB Hero

Someone on a FB group near me posted this recently...

But I get the feeling you want your EXACT bike back again?

"2011 Ducati 1198
Consett, County Durham
£8,400

2011 Ducati 1198 60 reg for sale £8400 ono
5000 miles 12 months MOT
Just had major service by Mark at VTS Consett where had-
New brembo front pads
All belts replaced
New rear tyre
New Danmoto cans and tuned
This model has quick shifter and traction control as standard.
Carbon front and rear mudguards and exhaust shield.
Short levers.
May consider px & cash."
Old 19-Apr-2017, 15:49

Quote:
Someone on a FB group near me posted this recently...

But I get the feeling you want your EXACT bike back again?

"2011 Ducati 1198
Consett, County Durham
£8,400

2011 Ducati 1198 60 reg for sale £8400 ono
5000 miles 12 months MOT
Just had major service by Mark at VTS Consett where had-
New brembo front pads
All belts replaced
New rear tyre
New Danmoto cans and tuned
This model has quick shifter and traction control as standard.
Carbon front and rear mudguards and exhaust shield.
Short levers.
May consider px & cash."

Hi there...Thanks for this. You're correct though about the exact bike and as a result my lack of urgency. It's as much as what the bike represented at that time of my life as much as the model. The fact that it's been off the road for so long though does leave me cautious as I've said....just in case it had a negative demise that resulted in someone getting hurt. I'd rather think that someone is thrahing the life out of it on track and loving every minute than that. This was always a long long shot given that I only owned it for the first 6 months of its life and it's been someone else's baby for much longer....still nothing ventured nothing gained and I may connect with an owner that may look to part with it in the future

Cheers

Tony
Old 19-Apr-2017, 22:00
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Quote:
Norrie by any chance?

Yep, that was him...