Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 01-Jan-2007, 21:25
Mille

Mood: 1098s is here.... and now dirty!
Global Warming...... just a thought!

Is it totally un-pc and completely ignorant to sort of welcome global warmer due to the fact that .... wel hey by February we could be looking at 18'C and no rain???
Old 01-Jan-2007, 21:52
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
I don't blame energy consumption for it, I blame time itself.
What caused the ice to melt after the ice age? Did the dinasaurs drive big gas-guzzling suv's??

Screw it, what track days do we have in february!
Old 01-Jan-2007, 22:07
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBs996
What caused the ice to melt after the ice age? Did the dinasaurs drive big gas-guzzling suv's??

No, they just had very bad flatulence, methane being a very "efficient" greenhouse gas
One problem with Stones thought is the theory that the increased temps will bring greater evaporation from the sea's surface, that moisture has to precipitate somewhere and guess who's usually first in the line of fire
Old 02-Jan-2007, 11:15
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
I don't think it's the rise in temperature that is the problem-it's the rate of change. When we were in Iceland a couple of summers ago we were at a camp at the foot of their major glacier and they had a centre there which explained all about the expansion and contraction of the glacier. The ice field had been much bigger in the 1800's, but much smaller (than it was now) in the 1200's-well there wasn't much in the way of atmospheric polution around then simply because there weren't many people either. The climate on this little planet of ours has continually changed over the milenia-just this time it is happening a bit quick like.

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 02-Jan-2007, 11:29
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
um, have you seen what latitude we are at?, its only the Gulf Stream that gives us the mild climate we have and if polar ice melts it'll stop the Gulf Stream, to give you an idea its the same as Quebec or Minsk!!
Old 02-Jan-2007, 11:32
everton

Global warming became much more apparent to me when I first noticed that Foxes Glacier Mints were getting smaller
Old 02-Jan-2007, 23:47
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
Global warming is only good for you if you don't have children, grand-children and generally don't care about things which don't affect yourself right now.

For people who haven't seen Gore's documentary, I strongly recommend them to watch it (An Inconvenient Truth).
Old 03-Jan-2007, 00:51
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
On the news last night 2006 was the hottest year since records began about two hundred years ago thats hardly headline news thousands of years ago we were under 20 odd foot of ice did neanderthal man go into guilt mode and stop building fires.
200 years of records is not very representetive of the millions of years of animals producing methane and CO2,if you want accelerated climate change look at the asteriod that struck the Mexico basin which wiped out the Dinosaurs but the planet survived and remained in o2/co2 balance other wise all life would have been extigiushed.
If CO2 was being produced quicker than plants could synthesize O2 everything would be dead.
No one can really say with 100% accuracy whether this is a natural planetry change or real climate change due to man.
whether or not it is this and every other government will use it as a way to dump even more tax on you.
Theres money to be made in global warming and windfarm companys are the first to cash in on grants to blight the sky line.
They produce very little power compared to the cost of manufacture and work effeciently on very few days with most of them are turned off due to grid capacity.
there an absolute scar on the skylines of cornwall and will destroy the veiws on the Scottish isles whose people do not want them.
Old 03-Jan-2007, 01:16
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888heaven
On the news last night 2006 was the hottest year since records began about two hundred years ago thats hardly headline news thousands of years ago we were under 20 odd foot of ice did neanderthal man go into guilt mode and stop building fires.
200 years of records is not very representetive of the millions of years of animals producing methane and CO2,if you want accelerated climate change look at the asteriod that struck the Mexico basin which wiped out the Dinosaurs but the planet survived and remained in o2/co2 balance other wise all life would have been extigiushed.
If CO2 was being produced quicker than plants could synthesize O2 everything would be dead.
No one can really say with 100% accuracy whether this is a natural planetry change or real climate change due to man.
whether or not it is this and every other government will use it as a way to dump even more tax on you.
Theres money to be made in global warming and windfarm companys are the first to cash in on grants to blight the sky line.
They produce very little power compared to the cost of manufacture and work effeciently on very few days with most of them are turned off due to grid capacity.
there an absolute scar on the skylines of cornwall and will destroy the veiws on the Scottish isles whose people do not want them.

Are you nuts or what?

its not just CO2 production, it is also the unprecedented deforrestation of the planet which is a significant factor

Tell me exactly what is pretty about pylons stretching out across the landscape, acid rain or leukemia clusters?

Speaking as a Scot tell me what will be left of the Scottish islands when the sea level rises 9m as predicted by some models?

Millions of years ago, there were far fewer people and cows etc were not farmed then as they are now. There is no comparison to be made with planet we have today.

THERE IS NO DOUBT GLOBAL WARMING IS CAUSED BY MAN UNLESS YOUR NAME IS GEORGE W BUSH! ASK ANY SCIENTIST!

There is as much energy used in the production of a car as it uses in its lifetime, so by that metric wind farms are spectacularly successful. Do you have any idea how much more CO2 is produced in the building of a nuclear power station? Until nuclear fusion comes along wind and wave are the best we have. Incidentally, when the UK government did a study in the early 80s or so as to what was the cheapest/most environemtally friendly way of producing energy, nuclear came out on top. Then once the go ahead for Sizewell B, THORP (Thermal Oxide Reprocessing Plant) etc had all gone through someone noticed wave power was the best way forward and there was an error in the calcs. The cynics among us might suggest that you cant build nuclear weapons with wave power but you can with nuclear power stations and the lunacy of THORP.

As for taxation,if you pollute you should pay to clean it up. Its not my world or yours. Its everyones, and those who follow us should find it in a decent condition.

Sorry, rant over, but really, the world needs to wake up to how close to disaster it is. As mentioned above, the UKs climate as it is just now is not assured of remaining as it is and is entirely dependant upon the salinity of the Atlantic seawater. Melting ice means no conveyor for the warm air of the tropics which means Moscow comes to London for Winter.

Last edited by 749er : 03-Jan-2007 at 01:44.
Old 03-Jan-2007, 02:00
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
[As for taxation,if you pollute you should pay to clean it up]
just like I pay road tax and its all used on the roads get real.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit