Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 01-Jul-2009, 14:47

I agree we should be allowed to wear what we want, but flip flops, on a man, on a bike, not in my lifetime! I think I've got a flip flop phobia Is there such a thing?

Cheers Wogger
Old 01-Jul-2009, 15:00
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
How do you change gear in flip flops?
On the one occasion I wore trainers I found that hurt my foot when changing up.
Old 01-Jul-2009, 15:02
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
There's already enough of the "serves you right" point of view.

Fallen off a motorbike........serves you right.

Fallen off a horse, pedal bike, step ladders etc....... oh dear you poor thing.

Ray.
Old 01-Jul-2009, 16:01
Mille
Bikes: ducati 996, hawkati, kawacati

Mood: generally vile and mischevious
darwinism at it's finest. sorry, but i don't mind at all. i ride with full leathers etc on all the time, but if people are dumb enough to not wear protective gear, it's their own lookout. like smoking, the can hardly claim they're unaware.
Yes, i do think they should be treated just the same in hospitals - we pay taxes so we can all get treated, and i'm not goign to get statred on the slippery slope of who's worthy or not.
cassington? waaay too crowded these days, and i was playing footy anyway - i'll be at ludgershall next monday though - my brother lives there!
Old 01-Jul-2009, 21:55
Bikes: 1198 S and KTM Superduke R

Mood: Happy as a pig in ....
I know I 'm a newbie and therefore sub mudskipper - but I agree with Bradders and Ray - live and let live. Sometimes it's good to do something bad and for those who have never tried riding in shorts and a T shirt - try it and tell me it wasn't fun even if it is stupid.
Old 01-Jul-2009, 23:55

See Real Rescues 2nite? bet that youth wish he'd worn leather, ouch where's me knee caps?

Wogger
Old 02-Jul-2009, 10:46
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Guess you have to try it to get a proper feel for the freedom it gives?

Anybody else had the following:

Bike decides it doesn't like my ar$e on its seat but chooses to make the decision coming out of a really fast corner. Doesn't bother to give me any warning so next thing is earth, sky, earth, sky, ouch, ouch, OUCH!! Body stops rolling down the track/road/hedge/ditch (delete as appropriate) and the next phase is to assess the damage.

Tentatively move each limb one at a time hoping the movement will be in the directions as originally designed. On a good day its now time to see if standing back up is an option. If that works and the limb movements aren't too bad its a bit of a result innit?

Next take a look at the riding gear. Arai has saved Mr. Bonce from a good old grinding on the road and Mr. Dainese has to be congratulated for his input to the reduction of soft tissue loss.

Shorts, tee shirt and flip flops....yeah right....you've got enough going against you wearing proper gear so afraid I'll be leaving that clothing option to the "braver" individuals out there

PJ

http://www.multirole-eng.com

http://www.audicator.com Check out our simple to fit, potentially life saving turn signal alert system.
Old 02-Jul-2009, 11:35
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
freedom of choice winds you up ! ? LOL

As for medical staff having to dress those that fall off in this attire we had better not go down that route as bikes would be banned altogether as there are much safer forms of transport regardless of what safety gear we wear !

I wouldn't ride in flip flops but I couldn't care less what others want to do
Old 02-Jul-2009, 12:09
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I'll put my hands up and admit that I've often ridden in jeans and trainers.

I used to do it more often a few years back, when I used to take a 10 minute ride to my office on bright sunny mornings. Getting togged up in full leathers and out of them again when I arrived, plus carrying a back pack with jeans or trousers and shoes to change into was too much hassle, much easier to throw on my Belstaff leather jacket, gloves and lid and be ready for work as soon as I'd taken them off again at the other end.

I had a few ground rules in that I wouldn't go hooning about, just trundle along with the flow of traffic and use the bike just for the joy of riding it rather than using it to carve through traffic.

Was I taking an extra risk? Yes of course. If I had an accident I stood a bigger risk of injury, but that was only an incremental risk compared to riding the bike at all and it was a calculated risk...the type of calculated risk that we all take every time we sling a leg over a motorcycle. Yes, the risks are marginally bigger, but is that going to stop me? Clearly not.

I could also argue the other way. I don't know about anyone else, but when I climb into full leathers with all the built in armour, knee sliders, protective boots and everything else, of course I feel much more protected. It makes me feel more 'invincible' and I'm encouraged to ride much faster. Riding faster increases the risk greater injury if I have an accident and the type of injury I am likely to receive changes with greater speed from the abrasion injuries you are likely to receive in a 30mph spill to the broken bones and internal injuries in a 60mph spill.

It would be interesting to find out where the tipping point is between the risk of riding relatively slowly and relatively unprotected and the risk of being armour plated and riding faster (of course I could ride slower fully clad but not much point in having a motorcycle if you climb into one piece racing leathers to pootle around at 30-40mph).

So what risk do you want to take? The self inflicted injuries through not being protected or the self inflicted injuries through twisting the throttle harder? It's all a calculated risk, that we all take every time we throw a leg over a motorcycle

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 02-Jul-2009, 12:10
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
I'm in the Couch, Bradders, Ray etc group. Personal choice, nanny state etc. Otherwise where do you stop? I've ridden a ped on hols in flip flops, but a geared bike is going to hurt your little tootsies, even in softer trainers its hard to change gear effectively.

We decide to ride bikes that are (you can't get away from it) a more dangerous mode of transport, maybe we should have legislation that says full leathers, max 100cc bikes only, airbags, leg protectors, etc etc....there's a case for banning open face helmets for example. What about a back protector, or proper boots with ankle protection. Where do you stop/start?

Do you have to have legislation to make helmets compulsary? If you lived in the country and were popping into the village on a beautiful day, would you like to have the choice to not wear a helmet? I don't always on my pushbike. Cyclists go around in packs in lycra at up to 50mph, I did it myself last year on my Lands End ride - was it dangerous doing 48.5 mph down a hill in the Lakes, sure, would I do it again, oh yes. Irresponsible? Would I do the same bit of road on a motorbike at same speed with no helmet, gloves, boots in a pair of lycra shorts.....hmmm...not sure I would actually, feels too dangerous yet it's perfectly acceptable on a push bike

Freedom of choice for me, less legislation.

eg street furniture, some tests showing remove it all and the roads are safer. Do you think you would ride better if you were naked with no helmet? (albeit some accidents are as a result of cars etc, but we mostly ride sports bikes and I would guess, with noproof whatsoever, that most sports bike accidents are as a result of going too fast for the conditions and skill level)

Take this luvverly sunny weather and London is full of girls in vest tops and shorts going to work (with the bloikes all still in grey suits and tie - what's that all about?). Skin cancer is a major problem. Should we be banned from showing skin in temps above 20 degrees? Compulsary factor 30. Police stop and search checks if your cream is not CE approved?

Rant over

WeeJohnyB

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit