Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jun-2004, 10:19
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
Ventura rack for mono bikes

I just recieved and fitted a Ventura sports rack for my 749R , excellent piece of kit but one slight problem.......

I had a Ventura rack on my 748R , the rails are very similar for both mono and biposto bikes , fitted well but quite a tricky job , getting the rails fitted between the subframe and the pipes is quite hard on the knuckles , as the bike was a mono I only ever used the rack in the forward position and was always a lttle concerned that it may mark the seat unit if overloaded or if the load should slip but it never did

The new rack for the 749/999 mono bikes is completely different and will only fit on a mono , the side rails mount directly onto the main frame using the same bolt holes as the subframe , they go outside the subframe and use spacers and longer bolts to keep them the right distance away from the subframe / bodywork , this means that the rack does not put any load onto the alloy subframe and is an independant structure , very clever

The big difference is that the vertical parts of the rail which the rack slots into rise up just as the seat narrows , this means that the rack can only be fitted facing backwards but it is all inboard of the bike as close to the rider as it can be putting less load on the mounting points which can only be a good thing

.......and the problem ?

The bolts supplied with the kit were too short , they are M8 x 40mm long , I had to go to the local bolt wholesaler and buy some High Tensile M8 x 50mm long , sorted , I will be phoning Jeanette at Motohaus today to let her know so longer bolts should be supplied in the future.