Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Nov-2005, 22:41
Mille

S4r around town?

Hi all

First post so please be gentle.

Ive been hanging around the US Monster Board and just stumbled across this one looking for S4r's.

Seems much more civillised!

My everyday riding involves a 30 mile round trip from North London to the center. Im pretty much straight away on the A1 where the average speed is around 60 mph,and then im in the thick of it,surrounded by the Vespa's!

My current ride is a 54 plate 620 single disc which i bought from new and have clocked up 7322 miles since last September. Its great around town in that its pretty nimble and fairly quick,but im itching for a little extra poke for the A1 part of my journey.

What im pondering though is how is an S4r going to be around town? Someone said because of the dry clutch to steer clear as a town bike,someone else said it would be tiresome on the arms. I had a quick test ride of one from the now defunkt Ducati London Central but only went out for about 20 mins as they were closing.

Also would it be worth the extra expense?

Opinions from S4r'ers around town would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Nick
Old 01-Nov-2005, 22:44
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
Hi Nick,

Welcome to the board.

I'm afraid I know nothing about S4r's but I'm sure there will be someone along soon who does.
Old 01-Nov-2005, 22:45
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
welcome to the club.
as a newbie you have to get the beers in at the bar so as its footie night ill have speckled hen cheers.
o and the monster owners will be along any mo.
S4R nice bike
Old 01-Nov-2005, 22:52
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Hiya, I'll have a glass of red vino if you dont mind

My thoughts? (I dont have an S4R, tho I do have a M1000sie) is that I'd keep the 620 for the commute.
I really wouldnt use mine for the filtering work, without changing the clutch lever etc (which I am quite happy with for the rest of the time ). Its far too torquey (sp?) for the on/off throttle & slow speed stuff, and IF on occasions I've been stuck in heavy traffic etc, I am swearing like a trooper about getting a ssshh..... jap bike if I had to commute daily....

Ak's enjoyed the 620 tango for commuting recently, says he prefers it over his lawson (who wouldnt ) and better than the M900 special too

Get an S4R (if thats what rocks your boat) for the fun w/end stuff if its within the budget.

Happy shopping

C
Old 02-Nov-2005, 07:44
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hmm,S4R,..lovely bike but has got that lumpy old 996 motor...bit of a handfull around town,I imagine.Now add on a grabby clutch when hot,....
I would stick to what you have got for commuting.
Old 02-Nov-2005, 08:58
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
S4R is a superb bike that made me feel like a hooligan as soon as I got on it, hence I had to go back to sportsbikes! Brilliant fun, good on the track, but could be a pain around town. I'd stick to the 620 for commuting.
Old 02-Nov-2005, 10:12
Mille

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess a big test ride is needed. Also I may consider the S2r 1000 now aswell.

Just love the styling of the S4r.

[Edited on 2-11-2005 by Nick Pavey]
Old 02-Nov-2005, 10:51
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
I use mine for commuting most days about 4 miles thru town. I dont find clutch to bad really you get used to it, and with a open cover i find doesn't get grabby even in searing hot temps. A dry clutch is never so easy around town as you cant slip unless you like replacing your plates often

I have just added a 14t front sprocket which makes the revs more manageable in first and second. In the wet though its more scary shifting down requires much care or its a brown trouser moment

But I still love riding mine to work and will only not ride so much when the salt goes down on the road

The S2r 1000 maybe better low down around town but still got a dry clutch
Old 02-Nov-2005, 11:00
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
620 is going to be better every time..but im guessing your choice is not purely down to commuting ?

S4R is luxury compared to sportsbikes, and the magura handlebars make for a far more superior riding position instead of forcing your arms into a position like your 620.

My clutch was heavy new but got better, and if you fit a 14T front sprocket then that improves things no end for town riding as like many ducatis, its a little overgeared as standard really.

Clutch shouldnt be a problem, but worst case, you can fit an aftermarket clutch slave cylinder (cyclecat, evoluzione etc) for about £70 which will lighten the clutch load by about 25%..

Hope that helps..and have you also considered joining www.ukmonster.co.uk ?

Cheers & good luck
Nat

P.S Its a little early an im knackered so i'll take an espresso and a twix bar if thats OK with you..??

[Edited on 2-11-2005 by Nattyboy]
Old 02-Nov-2005, 23:16
Montjuic

S2R?

Hi,

Just added a 2005 803 S2R to the stable and love it to bits.

Nice light wet clutch and no problem round town at all.

Had an ST4s last year with the 916 engine and dry clutch and it was very hard work round town.

Look for an 803 S2R and you may be able to pick up a bargain. I found one with 300 miles on the clock and got it for an absolute bargain price. Plenty of go and loads of fun.

Happy shopping.

Chippy