Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Dec-2005, 15:29

Im confused as to how any insurance company know what should and should not be fitted to your bike. One year you can buy a 748R which comes with a set of 45mm Termis, the next year it will come without the termis and Ohlins alround (someone please tell me if I am talking crap) I took my 748R for an MOT at the same shop I bought it from and they told me it wouldn't pass an MOT with Termis, therefore I responded with "so you sold me a bike which is unfit for the road" they then MOTed the bike and that was the end of it. Surely as every year the spec change and so do the options, who is to know what is standard and what is not. Im not sure if im talking rubbish or not now ??
Old 19-Dec-2005, 15:55
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Termis came in the crate with the 748R, the standard baffled pipes were fitted from new. Open Termis were never standard fit as they will not pass EU emissions tests, nor UK MOT noise tests.
Old 19-Dec-2005, 16:04
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
you must really be honest with them,i'm with Ducati insurance and had no increase in my cost and i think the golden rule is.does it increase performance by more than 10%,i think you already know the answer to that one but dont give anyone the chance of not paying out on a claim coz that really would hurt.
Old 19-Dec-2005, 18:45

Thanks for clearing that up TwinFan. I guess as mine was second hand then the previous owner must have fitted them after delivery. Merry Christmas. Scott
Old 20-Dec-2005, 18:45

Mood: Up Beat
Cheers all for your advice!

Just got off the phone to H&R and, would you believe, the first question.........."Is it road legal sir?"

Ah, well, "NO!" was the reply................."No matter, it makes no difference to your premium sir!"

So, I asked her, "let me get this straight, Highway (the underwriter) will make no change to my premium to insure a bike which is theoretically not able to obtain an MOT and therefore should not be on the road, AND they'll still pay out in the event of a claim?"

"YES sir, although how you'd fair when stopped by the police??" was the answer!

Cant see how that works personally, but, Hey who am I to argue, cheers H&R i'll drink to you tonight!!
Old 20-Dec-2005, 18:56
Big Twin

Highway are good with non-legal exhausts. Other insurers aren't so leniant, and you have to cancel your policy and start another.
Old 21-Dec-2005, 11:36

Mood: Up Beat
Now to the fitting!!!!!

Any of you guys fitted your own?

I'm lookin at attempting it over the festive period, am reasonably compotent mechanic, but, was wondering if anyone knows of a fitting guide available on the net anywhere?

Will I need any specific tools for the job?

Woods (dealer) told me that if they were to do it then they'd need the RED key to match the new ECU to the clocks etc??

Does this matter? or can i fit and get someone to do that at a latter date?

And whilst I'm thinkin........Where is the ECU anyway?

Motrac Racing in Elsmere Port, near me, are a Dynojet dealer and they reckon once fitted they can get it on the rollers and install a custom map onto the new ECU Ducati supplied???? Is this possible?

Steve
Old 21-Dec-2005, 23:36
Big Twin

Didn't fit mine myself, so can't really say. I've heard that you don't have to use the RED key for the ECU, as this will lock it to your bike. It's best if it isn't locked should you choose to sell it on at a later date.

Duno about re-mapping the Ducati ECU but I wouldn't think it was possible.
Old 24-Dec-2005, 08:35
Ducati Corse

Easiest way around this is to use a PC3.