Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Aug-2005, 17:52
500SD

Found this one for sale,appreciate the experts first impressions,anything obviously wrong?
Old 04-Aug-2005, 17:57
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Looks OK..the very last colour scheme they did. Ive got a sneaky feeling this guy had an SP4 before..I recognise the house from a pic (how sad is that ??!).

Immediate thoughts;

- Ask if hes got all the standard bits (screen. cans, rear indicators). With a bike like this its essential to have all the right bits to anble it to keep its value (remember you cant really get any new bits now).

- Those agip decals are huge. If I were you i'd ask him to remove them before the sale just to check there not hiding anything - he shouldnt have an objection to this if he sees your serious.

- Are the rear numberboards fablon or sprayed ? if there fablon, again check there not hiding anything.

How much is he asking..?

Nat

[Edited on 4-8-2005 by Nattyboy]
Old 04-Aug-2005, 18:06
500SD

Asking for £3700,its a 94 model on an L plate with 26k miles,recent service by a Honda dealer though?.
Old 04-Aug-2005, 18:16
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Id look to get him down to low 3's then mate, depending on its history..and I wouldnt be confident riding a duke round thats been serviced by a honda dealer..theyve probably just changed the oil and kicked the tyres..!!

A good indicactor is if the guy is an enthusiast - which I suspect he isnt if he had a honda dealer service it !!!

Some other things to check..and ways of getting the price down..!

- Does the fuel pump prime easily when you turn the key ?
- Have a look at the rose joints at the bottom of the suspension hoop..if they are corrdoded/tatty, theyll probably be seized and be a night mare to get out.
- Check the bodywork very carefully for cracks. 888 fairings are a bugger to get lined up ands ive seen a few that have stress fractures due to the impatience of the owner !
- Has anything else been done to compliment the pipes ? Lift the tank up..see if the airbox lid has been sliced off and/or a performance filter fitted.
- Is the tool kit there? (quite comprehensive on the 888!)
- Have a good sniff round the swingarm...its unlikely but a few have cracked around the welds.
- If its done 26k then the shocks probably very tired, and out of adjustment ! It may also squeak a bit due to the bushes !! If it does - tell him it needs a new shock (youd be surprised what you can get away with !! !!)

Good luck!

Nat
Old 04-Aug-2005, 18:31
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
What Nat said and when you're looking at the swingarm, chack the cahain hasn't been run too loose and cut a slot on the pinch bolt.

Good luck. Rob
Old 05-Aug-2005, 14:59
500SD

Kills me every time I read a thread like this! Knowing that my own Strada is sitting unused for most of the time - and would probably find better use with another real enthusiast. (I looked long and hard for a good 888, so I know how frustrating it can be). They're out there, Eric, you just have to be patient).

Steve