Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-May-2004, 10:40
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Allen Key??

I pulled her plastics off yesterday whilst giving her a bath and seeing what the merciless winter had done to her - seeing as I didn't clean it properly (there's no embarrassed smiley!) Yes I know, I can hear you avid polishers chastising me - I have my own garage now and even room to pull her down and clean etc ...

So, I was about to put the new fairings on when I realised that I don't have an Allen key to fit the little fairing screws that hold the lower and mid panels together and also the screen onto the nose\cowl fairing (I'm sure my terminology is all over the shop but there you go). On closer inspection it looks like there is a star pattern in there like the tool would not be an ordinary allen key but something with a different shape? Can someone tell me I'm right or I just don't have the right size allen key.

Here are some piccies.

TP
Old 24-May-2004, 10:40
MotoGP God

and another ...
Old 24-May-2004, 10:42
MotoGP God

and just one more ...

Oh and you can see my 'bodge' job on getting the PC680 mounted in there on the standard battery tray ... cable ties anyone?

And I thought I'd get my littlest fella in there and started young, he already wants a Ducati ... maybe a minimoto?

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by tp-996]
Old 24-May-2004, 11:02
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
its not an allen key you need, i forget the name of the type of head it is but you should have one the right size in the ducati tool kit ,it's very small there was one in mine.

and i think they are the same size as the screen bolts
Old 24-May-2004, 11:27
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
As Nigel says, it's a torx bit you need.

There should be one in the tool kit - it has a small allen head on one end and a torx head on the other.
Old 24-May-2004, 11:30
MotoGP God

I shall pull it out and have a good look when I get home. I'm keen to swap the screen over and the RHS fairing ...

Then I just wait for the M\C screw that Nelly is sending me in the post (what a top guy, had a chat this morning with and am going to put a stainless steel bolt kit on her as well!!! Damn salt!!) and then I'm nearly sorted.

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by tp-996]
Old 24-May-2004, 14:18
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
If you can't find the tool in the kit, the bit you'll need is a T-7 torx. They are a little rare, T-6 and T-8 are the "normal" range, but you should be able to get one from a tool stockists OK.
Old 24-May-2004, 14:41
Big Twin

Mechanic at the place I bought my bike advised me never to use the one in the tool-kit, as it's of poor quality and might damage the screws. He said to get down to a tool dealer and buy a "proper" one.

Still, you hardly ever need to touch them, unless you have panel damage, I'd have thought.
Old 24-May-2004, 15:01
MotoGP God

Hi Moto748 - No you don't, unfortunately for me I do have panel damage and I'm wanting to change my screen over to a new nose\cowl (what is the right came for this bit?) fairing as well as put together the new middle and lower fairings for the RHS.

I'll get there in the end - thanks all for your help. I might pop in to the local tool shop and see what I can come up with.

TP
Old 24-May-2004, 21:41
MotoGP God

Well ... obviously the correct tool was in the toolkit!! It's just that some complete nobber didn't think of looking there - oh, thats me.

So, all new fairings on the bike now but I'll be buggered if I don't have two different types of mirror screw! One is definitely longer than the other one and the short one is too short to get the mirror on (unless I'm a complete clown - woudn't rule it out) I'll post a pic later on.

It's looking good now. I'm off to see Nelly on Sat morning to get a few bits and pieces, some fresh oil, stainless steel bolt kit etc etc ...

It's nearly there, I'm excited. Actually, I had a look at my chicken strips tonight - they are quite large! I must be some sort of wuss on her (well I know I am!) I need to sort that out ... might opt for some CSS education. Already started on the missus for that - anyone know if Carole Nash will look favourably on that?

TP