Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-May-2004, 14:17
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
996s - pulling away from standstill.

As a fairly new Ducati owner I find that I am not able to pull away from standstill as smoothly as other bikes I have ridden. Until the engine is compleatly warm it will have the tendency to stall. This is what happened to me on Sunday. I stalled at a junction, lost my footing and dropped it. Did I feel stupid or what. This has made me feel even more wary of the problem.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the bike. I just think I need to adjust my riding style. Maybe more revs?
Anyone got any pointers for me?
Thanks.
Old 25-May-2004, 14:23
Big Twin

Twins need a little more revs than an inline 4 - whereas with a blade you can probably pull away at 2,000 revs, the big pistons on a twin mean you need a bit more, say 3,000-500, especially when cold.
Old 25-May-2004, 14:36
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
I did this yesterday on my 748s and put it down to not letting it warm up for a few seconds. I had only been there for 4 hours so was still warmish from before hand but not warm enough, lol lol

Was right outside someones window so did not want fill there flat with fumes. Got on fired up went about 3 feet and dropped it as it stalled oooppppss!!!!!

Just happened so quick and violently

Front brake lever took the brunt of the force and snapped of at the pivot end must be made of cheese fun riding home on back brake.

mirrror and right ahnd fairing lowers scuffed + its a ti grey one to, anyone know where I coould get a colour match paint from? As its £600 for both top & bottom fairing sides

Brake lever to get back on the road is £43 and need it asap to get to work, doh!

Live and learn!!!

[Edited on 25-5-2004 by Lee1980]
Old 25-May-2004, 15:15
Ducati Meccanica

Lee1980... seems like a carbon copy of what I did, same damage as well. I have ordered a pattern lever, £20 inc p&p from patternparts.com (see other threads).
Do the fairings not seperate top and bottom, and are they available seperatly?
I sometimes feel guilty about leaving it running, especially early in the morning. (and i've got standard pipes)
Old 25-May-2004, 15:34
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
My thoughts ... I think it's more to do with the dry clutch gents - wet clutches seem to go through fairly easily but need more revs to go through with the dry clutch.

Also, big twins will stall easily when cold (as you've found out) under low load in low revs ... I nearly dropped my VTR1000 (my first big twin) from exactly the same thing. I was just lucky I was being cautious already and could get my foot off the peg quick enough. Incidentally, I nearly dropped the 996 the day I picked it up from stalling in the service station.

I ALWAYS warm the bike up before riding off - the neighbours might not like it but they aren't going to pay for your replacement rockers\cams etc. And I have 54mm carbon Sil Motor's fitted! Non-Duke riders get the irrits waiting around for you when you go out for a ride but again, they can all chip in to the 'replace TP's rockers' fund if they want me to not do it. When Neil from Sigma pulled mine apart for the Full Monty\Grunter I had to replace 8 rockers and have a cam lobe polished!!! NOT CHEAP!!!
Old 25-May-2004, 16:22
Ducati Meccanica

Thanks guys.....

I don't feel like too much of a wally now.
Old 25-May-2004, 17:14
Big Twin

Col. I thought I may have been the only one to,

Would get one from patternparts but my local dealer has the official lever in stock and need the bike for work. Might get one from them for the future.

I think the top and bottom of my fairing touched down, but may be difficult to have repaired as its unusual ti grey.

I know from an off earlier in the year they a for both pieces £450 and not £600 like i said.

Anyone know the website address for patternparts?
Please!

So may buy one at a time but not put it on until I sell it,

[Edited on 25-5-2004 by Lee1980]
Old 25-May-2004, 21:55
Ducati Meccanica

Lee,

www.patternparts.net

Ordered my lever late on Sunday on line, arrived today.
Old 27-May-2004, 00:54
Big Twin

Thanks Col

Will order one for future mishaps

I also got a new clip-on end plug reasonably priced at 56p.

Now just got to get a mirror at £40 and fairing at £450,

Won't be doing this in a hurry again
Old 27-May-2004, 11:53
Mille

Mood: suns out...happpy!!!brm brm
mate,dont feel bad...the other day i fltered through a load of traffic to get to the lights at the front,all the car drivers frowning cos of my noisey bike,i was thinking of them all boiling in their cars and me about to whizz off at the lights....they went green....and i stalled it,lol,what a prat!!!!