Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 02-Jul-2009, 14:32
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
This always gets the blood boiling for some

okay hands up, I have ridden in shorts & flipflops.
this was back in the 80s, and I was flat out racing another guy in exactly the same attire. We got up to 90mph (road registered enduro bikes).
Was it fun ? you bet !
would I do it now ? no way, I've seen the injuries others have received.

We also rode a gold wing in California for a week last year, and succumbed to only wearing a T shirt, but still kept gloves, helmet, jeans and boots on too. For one, the sodding thing was too hot to sit on in shorts !
We were riding in temps of ~97 degrees, and were melting with the jackets on. I wouldn't have done it on a sports bike though. Not sure why, as the result would be the same (or worse) falling off the wing.

I feel vulnerable riding my bike down to the dealers 2 miles away in shoes and jeans rather than boots & leathers. As Jools says, I too consequently ride slower and more cautious.

For me, the answer is education, not legislation.
Inform the riders the risk they are taking, and the likely consequences. If they still choose to take the risk at least it is an informed decision.

A guy on a trike followed by another guy on a quad overtook me up the A3 last week. Neither had helmets on. They were both doing 80+.
so why is it okay for them to not wear helmets or protective clothing, but not okay for someone on 2 wheels.
and just how many kids on scoots ride around with their lids undone anyway (or not even on their heads properly).

I'd prefer to see the helmet law removed, Give people the choice.
I bet that most people would still wear one anyway, just the same as most people now wear a seatbelt, and would likely do so regardless of whether its the law or not.

As for nurses & doctors not treating people due to a lack of protective clothing, that really would be a minefield, where do you stop ?

wogger, that program last night showed that he didn't have to slide very far to sustain quite serious injuries. Perfect timing too, I was in the middle of my dinner

Now when are we going to discuss gun laws...
Old 02-Jul-2009, 14:44
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Darwin was right.....

Naked scooter races around Cadwell? Whats the worst that could happen?
Old 02-Jul-2009, 14:58
Mille
Bikes: Ducati ST2

Mood: Fruity
In Leicester you'll see people of Indian origin riding super sports (ninjas etc) in just a turban, well and jeans and t-shirt, they're not naked or anything...
It always freaks me out, they're not just a danger to themselves but even a knat to the eye (no goggles) could cause them to crash and kill a pedestrian even at urban speeds.
Crazy times and really demonstrates their ability to not give a **** about anyone, even themselves.

PS. not being racist, I find people of english origin just as offensive to my sense of self preservation and concern for others. And don't get me started on people that wheelie on public roads!

Last edited by moozaad : 02-Jul-2009 at 15:05.
Old 02-Jul-2009, 16:44
500SD
Bikes: 899

Mood: Optomistic
Clearly those amongst us that know would never do such a thing but is it really that bad??compare this behaviour to that of many drivers using devices to distract, reading maps etc on the move....now there's a discussion worth ranting about, as long as the turban/flipflop wearing riders don't crash and affect me or mine then crack on sunshine
Old 02-Jul-2009, 18:07
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Just waiting on Antonye making a post on this thread....hope he rants about idiots that don't wear proper gear..........check out his avatar!!!!

tee hee, excellent

WeeJohnyB
Old 02-Jul-2009, 18:21
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeJohnyB

Take this luvverly sunny weather and London is full of girls in vest tops and shorts going to work (with the bloikes all still in grey suits and tie - what's that all about?).
WeeJohnyB

What's wrong with that Bring it on, hope it gets hotter
Old 02-Jul-2009, 21:39
Big Twin

Mood: Hmmm Conference season
Well today I have been the baddest I have ever been.
We have Just taken delivery of our new demo MP3 400 LT (Google it)
T shirt, shorts, Crocks, and No Helmet, Boy did it feel good, But bad at the same time, Would I do it frequently, I doubt it, But for one moment today it all made sence. For nothing more than Baiting a traffic cop.......
Old 03-Jul-2009, 13:40
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
Riding Gear

I rode out the other day wearing an open face helmet, my old leather jacket with no armour, jeans and Bullson Manx boots along with Hein Gericke summer gloves.Taking things easy of course but what a revelation. The wind in your face makes you realise how fast you are going and also I felt much more relaxed in the hot weather than wearing a full face helmet and leathers.
You know when I was a lad, before compulsory helmet legislation I would have considered myself adequately attired to enter the Isle of Man TT!
Old 04-Jul-2009, 02:46
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
Funny isn't it.

My riding gear in the 80s was a bestaff wax cotton jacket. The belstaff trousers were only put on if it was raining, other wise I wore Jeans (she didn't mind, honest ).

Even now my preferred gloves have no armour in the m at all (dainese short gloves), and unlike a number of my riding pals I don't bother with a back protector. I also wear a cordura jacket rather than leather.

Now if I were to go out on my enduro bike I'd happily wear motocross trousers and jacket, which may well keep the mud off but probably aren't really that special at sliding down the road should that happen.
Funny how what your riding somehow makes it okay to wear different attire, despite the likely accident / injury being the same.

Now back onto flip-flops. I see a gap in the market. Someone needs to make a pair that have a special pad on the left foot for the gear lever

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit