Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Aug-2005, 00:08
GTL

Dave Harris \"Riders For Health\" Sponsored Swim

Just got back from Dave's "Memorial" trackday and, happily, everyone is still in one piece...one or two cases of gravel - rash, but that was hardly surprising considering the conditions, which were absolutely monsoonal.

Seeing so many DSCers out on track and spectating was the best tribute to Dave that I could imagine, it was amazing that people had travelled so far for the event, travelling from the Midlands and beyond must have been an absolute nightmare in today's weather so, although I have never met you, thanks for making the journey Nelly, Rob and Lisa... The DSC meant a huge amount to Dave, and the support for this event showed me why .

Sorry I didn't make the drink afterwards, but as I was trying to park the van, I got an urgent txt from work, and had to rush home to dial in.

What a great evening despite the weather.

Ian
Old 23-Aug-2005, 00:12
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Drink-DRINK-nobody mentioned a drink to us.

Mind you since Butch had to be up at 02.30am to go to work and didn't drop me off until 10.15pm, with an hour to go before home it's probably just as well............

John
Old 23-Aug-2005, 00:30
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
I was in two minds about going today because of the weather. But then I started U2Uing a few people and before I knew it I had too many offers of sponsorship not to show up. I was doing it all on a flat rate, although I did originally try to entice people to sponsor me by suggesting that I would be cheaper to sponsor than some of the riders because I would do fewer laps.

I had a great evening. It was very wet and I took it very easy. Because getting to Brands took me 1hr 45 minutes, filtering on the M25 most of the way, I only just made it for signing on, followed by the briefing, which then meant I wasn't ready to go out with the first group because I had to take off mirrors, number plate, tape stuff up etc. although Electricsheep (Rob) and Flanks (Mark) helped with that. Thanks guys. So I got out with an instructor for a couple of laps at the end of the first session then did the whole of the second session. My Dunlop 208RRs were not providing any discernible grip and people were getting faster, overtaking me and hanging off their bikes. I completed that session very cautiously and then bought my way out of the rest of the evening by purchasing a further bunch of raffle tickets. Still didn't win any prizes but felt I'd done enough to collect my sponsorship money. People's generosity is overwhelming. I don't know who donated all the fantastic raffle prizes but they were superb and well worth putting your hand in your pocket for, as lots of people clearly did.

It was a superb DSC supported event. It's amazing how generous people in this club are. I've still got a few confirmations to come in but so far I've had cash from Rob (Electricsheep), Lisa (Kwikbitch), Eric (thered) and promises from Loz, Mark (Beancounter), Shaun (BDG) John (WJB), Bubbles (Van - splitting his sponsorship between me and Dibs), Keefer, Martin (urban 996) Lee, Marko, my daughter Jo and my boyfriend (who is a non biker and who didn't know what 'filtering for an hour and 45 minutes on the M25' meant). So far I've raised £160. How fantastic is that?

Well done Annette. You did Dave proud.

[Edited on 22-8-2005 by Redruth]
Old 23-Aug-2005, 00:30
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Twas pretty damp to be sure, but the spirits weren't

It was a bit strange to have a notice held up before our last session asking for us to turn our lights on !!!!

Enjoyed the evening and the drink afterwards - perhaps practicing Brands in the rain was a good thing - its bound not to rain on the 11th now???? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZEEEE !!!

Tim
Old 23-Aug-2005, 00:42
Dibble

Ian, was an honour to be involved and the depth of support shown is testament to how highly regarded your brother was here .....

I still miss him, as i know many do ....

So Dave, thanks for keeping an eye on us ... shame you couldn't fix the weather ....

and did someone say wet ????

Old 23-Aug-2005, 00:49
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Absolutely right, Dibs. Good photo, btw. It's funny. I always thought the most irritating thing about riding on track in the wet would be the wet visor but actually, unlike being on the road where 100% observation is key, you don't need to scrutinise things too much. The things you need to focus on are clearly visible through the mass of raindrops because they're well marked and not moving (eg apex, the edge of the track etc. ).

You could have done with a waterproof suit. Your chest was dripping wet. I take it that was rain not sweat?
Old 23-Aug-2005, 09:09
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
A true window licker
Old 23-Aug-2005, 09:35
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Top afternoon/evening out - and great to see so many enjoying it - even Lord Rattler managed a session or two - but Dickie doesnt like getting webbed feet:P

Dickie - hope you remember how to remove & re-fit a wheel now laddie?:P

Ta to those who kindly picked bits of gravel out of the snot mobile, after Doug's enthusiastic charge into the top of paddock.

Alan hopes to be able to remove the gravel from the lower bowels of the engine, (as the airbox & inlets were full to the gunnels) but we will know more tonight.
Otherwise just a replacement throttle, lever, right footset & seat pod are required to get Snotty back out on the road - oh, and a good wash down.
Otherwise, looks like Snotty could be back to 675 for the next race - but she'll be there whatever

Anyone need their garden topped up with gravel? bellypan was completely filled to the top - along with every nook & cranny of the bike Doug was a bit bruised, but hopefully not too stiff this morning when he leaves to go home.

C
Old 23-Aug-2005, 09:46
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Shame about the off, glad that any damage is minimal.

Is Doug racing Snot at Brands and Cadwell for you?
Old 23-Aug-2005, 09:55
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Andy is doing Brands Tim - but I did ask Doug to have a go at Cadwell (and that was after his off ) - cos Andy is on hols then, and with Mark not being free, we didnt have a jockey. Thought the lad managed to cope well on only his 3rd trackday ever in with the fast boys - and also not having ridden a bike since last summer as he has been in Oz.

AK has asked me to look for a quick action throttle as ours is not repairable - I think it came from Dorking area - can anyone recco where I need to contact?

C