Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Aug-2003, 20:42
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Altered gearing via Sprocket changes

Woooooooooo Hooooooooooooooo

Just changed the rear sprocket on my 900ss from the standard 37T to a 41T and the different is almost unbeliveable.

Its like a different bike.

The main effect is that for the same speed it appears to have pushed the engine revs up by at least 500rpm (sorry too busy having fun at present).

But the benifits are two fold - first, there seems to much less chain snatch at lower speeds, like around town.

2) I'm changing gears less frequently already as the top gears seem suitable for just about everywhere - and because of this my riding feels a little smoother (or perhaps I'm fooling myself).

The downside is that I keep looking for another gear in the box after top - because it feels like she could EASILY pull another gear.

But there again - I forgot to mention that she now PULLS LIKE A FREIGHT TRAIN

Regards - Frank
Old 13-Aug-2003, 21:00
Montjuic

Mood: I'm off
Mee too!!!

I've just had mine done, but only went to 39T. I like that higher revving as well, really brings out the sound of a v-twin.

[Edited on 13-8-2003 by Cris]
Old 13-Aug-2003, 21:15
WSB Hero

Nice one Chris - you've just convinced me I NEED a SL rear end (and my bike as well)...
Old 13-Aug-2003, 22:10
Mille

Mood: All SP'ed up at the moment
Can you still use the same length of chain, and where can you buy these sprockets from and how much ???
Ta
Ian
Old 13-Aug-2003, 22:50
Montjuic

I was told that by only going up 2t, I shoudn't need to change the chain. I needed a new chain though, so I changed the lot. still only cost me around £100 at ally pally. you could always change the front sprocket instead.
Old 13-Aug-2003, 22:57
WSB Hero

M&P accessories actually sent me the C&S I think they had 'JP' stamped on them. Sadly, the rear was a 39T when the standard for a 900 is 37T.

However, I bought my 41T via a guy privately on E-bay which I think is actually for a 600ss - could be wrong.

I had to move the wheel all the way forward to accomadate the 41T and the standard Gold DID 520 chain (damn - I counted the links as well....47???? cant remember)

I'm told that steel sprockets are the ones to go for over Aluminium every time as steel is much harder wearing - and if you can afford it - they can be made harder still with anodising, but I dont have any experience of this (but you can get a sproket in a nice colour then ).

Links:
M & P Accessories

Also told that Renthal & Afam are good:
B and C Express

also:
www.powerlinks.co.uk

www.biketorqueracing.co.uk

Good Luck - Frank
Old 13-Aug-2003, 23:05
WSB Hero

The B & C Website is excellent - link on the 'Road & Race link' and a brill PDF file will load listing loads of Ducati spec's

Old 13-Aug-2003, 23:21
Montjuic

I bought Aluminium (Renthal), but had them hard anodysed for an extra tenner.

there's an sl single seat for sale on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/ebayISAPI.d...hippingPayment

[Edited on 13-8-2003 by Cris]
Old 14-Aug-2003, 15:48
Mille

Mood: All SP'ed up at the moment
Quote:
Originally posted by Iconic944ss
M&P accessories actually sent me the C&S I think they had 'JP' stamped on them. Sadly, the rear was a 39T when the standard for a 900 is 37T.

However, I bought my 41T via a guy privately on E-bay which I think is actually for a 600ss - could be wrong.

I had to move the wheel all the way forward to accomadate the 41T and the standard Gold DID 520 chain (damn - I counted the links as well....47???? cant remember)

I'm told that steel sprockets are the ones to go for over Aluminium every time as steel is much harder wearing - and if you can afford it - they can be made harder still with anodising, but I dont have any experience of this (but you can get a sproket in a nice colour then ).

Links:
M & P Accessories

Also told that Renthal & Afam are good:
B and C Express

also:
www.powerlinks.co.uk

www.biketorqueracing.co.uk

Good Luck - Frank

Does this mean you have a spare 39t sprocket you are not doing owt with mate ???
Wanna sell it to me

Ian
Old 14-Aug-2003, 21:38
Mille

Mood: waiting til next summer ;)
Hey, I've just put a 14t front sprocket on my 900ssie, its sooo much fun, exactlly what frank sounds, its loads easier around town, pulls a lot better and its just GREAT.

Oh and by the way its £25 inc Vat n P&P for a Renthal, you dont need to take any links out the chain, you can do it without even taking the chain or wheel off. Takes about 10 mins.

Steve

(now on the wheelie machine )