Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Jun-2004, 00:18
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
Trust you Mort and BDG to blow my cover....

Was only being polite....Didn't want too be to cheeky on tDan's first post!!!!!

Right then...If you're buying Dan, mines a Double drambuie...

AND I have a sport thingy too...Dont ask me...I'm a woman...Ask Nelly at cornerspeed...
If I need owt doing I ask him...

[Edited on 10-6-2004 by kwikbitch]
Old 11-Jun-2004, 00:47

Mood: ..runnin on fumes....
Wow

..shoulda brought me slippers - that's quite a welcome

..hi one and all and thanx for the replies - and thanx for the invites and offers too ! I havent done a track day but will be up for some of that once I get things sorted (and find the funds after the hols etc )

..as to the monoshocks, cheers guys - I'm going to have a stab at stripping this one down to see if I can get a part number from the seal and work out what oil I might refill it with if I can find one (any suggestions ?) - I've not tried a monoshock rebuild before, but am game for a bash.. especially if it's gonna end up in the bin anyway, but I'll keep you posted and if it all goes west then I'll be in touch about the offers (Dave G, paulmort).

I've swapped the tank breather to point the other way and it didnt make it any worse and I'm pretty sure that it made a small improvement on higher revs, and while I was about it I took the (very dirty indeed!) air filter out and refitted the box and stacks.. just to see what gives - the race cans I've got are able to be fitted with no mods but I guessed that they would also perform better with more air in so decided to give it a go... instant improvement everywhere.. throttle response, revving out in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, over 8 in 5th, and pulling harder in top... I know I shouldnt run without a filter but I just cant remember why, and I dont suppose it will do too much harm in the very short term until I get the dyna/k&n etc sorted (but would love to know if that's just complete crap lol)...

..anyway - thanx again for the welcome.. I'll be checking out some of the scottish contingent with a view to being at the next meet if I can

Cheers

Dano

..oops.. sorry Dave G - I'm in Aberdeenshire, north of Montrose

[Edited on 10-6-2004 by DanShapotsky]
Old 11-Jun-2004, 00:59
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
Hiya Dan & welcome ! Good Luck sorting ya bike mate let us know how ya get on !!!!!!!........................ mav
Old 11-Jun-2004, 10:59
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Hi Dan,

Have a look a few posts back at "rear shock" for info about getting your shocker fixed.
I'm not very far away from you in Forfar. For trackdays in our area check out http://www.edzellracing.com/ The next one is June 20, but I'll be away on holiday for the next fortnight.
Old 13-Jun-2004, 01:29
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the Madhouse - good crowd in here honest - smart move!

Comments...

Dynojet kit certainly helped my 93 900ss - I have a spare Stage 1 kit if your are interested.

Tank breather vent valve is ment to be fitted with the arrow pointing away from the tank - direction of vent) mine choked / stopped working and it felt like it was running out of gas as times - good again now.

Rear shock - snap - I have a spare weaping std one as well as a White Power unit that I threw in...slight improvement, getting better with time.

Good luck - Frank
Old 13-Jun-2004, 05:28
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
welcome to the board Dan!

Despite them being slightly older bikes, there are quite a few of us carby-SS owners here.

Running without the filter for too long is not a good idea (just look at the old one to see what it's been keeping out!).

Sounds like an interesting bike - how about some piccies?

cheers,
Chi
Old 13-Jun-2004, 12:16
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Hi Dano, welcome to the board, your shock sounds as if it may be a EMC shock that later became quadrant, as they were a UK company I would have thought the service items would be available. Not sure if the company still exists.

Kev
Old 13-Jun-2004, 18:29

Hi Again

thanx again for the hi's and offers etc - I certainly feel at home now

..quick update - I decided to bite the bullet over the weekend and pulled the shock apart to see if I could sort it - seemed like a small rubber o ring round the nylon base that seals a nylon bush that the pushrod moves through... didnt have one the same size but found one slightly fatter with the same outer diameter, so I 'bullied' it into the space - and took a guess about how much fluid it had lost and replaced it with some 10 weight fork oil... hey... it might be a bit heath robinson but it was busted anyway - right ?

..after a bit of cleaning and rebuilding I tried it but it was too stiff.. although appeared to be working, so i removed the rebound valve and let some oil out, put it back together, and hey presto - had it out today round some of the roughest and smoothest roads I could find in the area and it works a treat hehe... and no more leaks!

..thanks for the info about the maker - I'll check that out cos i'd like the proper kit to rebuild it if poss, but at least it aint parked on it's stand waiting for large amounts of cash that I dont currently have

I'll get some pics of my bike sorted out when my mate comes back from Turkey with my digi camera... and I agree about the filter but it's not gonna do any serious miles like that so I'll just run it cos the difference is worth it

Cheers all

Dano
Old 13-Jun-2004, 19:00

Hi again

..thanks again for the info skidlids.. turns out you were bang on.. it's an EMCD08/D by EMC - I found the spec on it at stainforths.com and according to their bumf it's designed as a serviceable component so I should be able to get a service kit as you say... dont suppose you have a contact for quadrant ? - I've searched around but nothing so far.... anyway thanx again for the info.. most useful indeed

Cheers

Dano
Old 15-Jun-2004, 22:39
500SD

Mood: Blooo Duke gets red heads
welcome again Dan and for 25 squid you can be a DSC member, get all this advice and loadsa discounts that'll save you more than the £25 you paid
JOIN UP, you know you'll get the benefit thrice over and more
bestest
mort in a real good bloooo mood