Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-May-2004, 14:24
Big Twin

Yep...it will shorten the wheel base...the 748/9** series do have eccentric adjusters.

In effect, the chain is tightened by doing just that...pushing the back wheel further away from the sprocket, and therefore the front wheel. Taking it to the extreme, if you want an even longer wheel base, you have to fit a mag swingarm and an even longer chain depending on the gearing.

However, most people new to Ducati ownership don't realise that in adjusting the chain it has a direct effect on the ride height, even if its adjusted only a little.

When I first fitted a new chain to mine...i also changed the steering head angle to the steep setting. The chain that I fitted was a little short, and that, combined with the shorter wheel base and increased ride height made for a very entertaining ride!!! Its worth getting the correct length chain for your gearing...the tranformation in the handling is quite noticable when the hub is posiioned correctly, and the ride height adjusted to suit.

Search Shazzams posts. He has covered the chain length/gear ratios/hub position many times before and posted a great chart covering all combinations some time ago.
Old 17-May-2004, 16:30
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Jacko, You can get some additional slack in the chain if you put a jack under the engine (with the bike on it's paddock stand) so that the swingarm drops down a bit. The chain is tightest when the two sprockets, swingarm pivot, and swingarm are in a straight line.
Old 17-May-2004, 17:06
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
As a guide you want to get the distance from the swing arm pivot centre, to the centre of the hub as near as you can to 1/2 metre 500mm.

This is achieved by having the eccentric hub pointing to about 5 o clock as viewed from the chain side.

Of course with a larger rear sprocket you will need a longer chain..
Old 17-May-2004, 17:41
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
[i]
However, most people new to Ducati ownership don't realise that in adjusting the chain it has a direct effect on the ride height, even if its adjusted only a little.
Oh - thats why I cant touch the floor Harv - maybe I can lift up my own stand next time
Old 17-May-2004, 18:16
Big Twin

I don't think there is that much adjustment mate

Maybe try the 4stroke scooter tyremans selling in the market place
Old 17-May-2004, 19:42
Mille

OK guys,

Cheers for all the replies. Top blokes one and all!!!

Looks like I'll keep the gearing as standard for now.

After making 2 x 150mile round trips and shelling out in excess of £900 just to get it serviced, c & s, back tyre, I really can't justify to the missus any more expense on the thing....and then there's the insurance re-newell that's just landed aswell

Then I find out today that my contract is being ended in 28 days.

Ah well, it's my birthday tomorrow.

P.S. That offer of the 13t sprocket is still there for free if anyone can find a use for it - drop me a u2u with your address.

Cheers.
Jacko.
Old 17-May-2004, 22:33
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally posted by Harv748

do you think I could use that as a stool then cause I hope your not suggesting i RIDe it Then again - might be quicker on it thru the bends....
Old 17-May-2004, 23:34
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by PBSPS
Quote:
Originally posted by Harv748

do you think I could use that as a stool then cause I hope your not suggesting i RIDe it Then again - might be quicker on it thru the bends....

No comment mate:P