Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-May-2004, 21:16
Mille

Changing front sprocket on 748s

I've got a 13t front which I want to swap with the standard 14t.

Getting the old one off is proving to be a complete nightmare! I am following the Haynes manual which makes it sound pretty simple - yeah right.

I have removed all the front sprocket bolts etc, slackened the chain to its fullest extent but it's nowhere near slack enough to take off the rear sprocket and in turn get the front out.

Am I missing something here guys?

Failing that, anyone got AJR's number....

Cheers for any advice.
Jacko.
Old 15-May-2004, 21:26
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
have you taken the clutch slave cylinder off?
Old 15-May-2004, 21:32
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
if i read correctly you are changing the standard 14 tooth front sprocket for a 13 ??? this is not really a good idea as a 13 tooth sprocket will place more stress on the chain (something to do with the angle and pitch of the chain i think) best to up 1 or 2 up on the back
Old 15-May-2004, 21:40
Mille

Nige, cheers for the advice - much appreciated.

I took the slave cylinder off but still nowhere near enough slack there. When pulling the sprocket off, the frame was restricting complete removal.

I posted previously about the merits of doing this and most replies advised either going down 1 on front or up 2/3 on rear. Didn't seem to be any probs taking one off the front by the sounds of it.

Just had a new set put on the bike but they couldn't get the bigger rear in time - gutted now!!! That's why I went for the front option as it appeared to be an easier job for the more mechanically challenged (i.e. me).......

Anyone else out there help out???

Thanks.
Jacko.
Old 15-May-2004, 21:51
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by JACKO748S

I took the slave cylinder off but still nowhere near enough slack there. When pulling the sprocket off, the frame was restricting complete removal.

I posted previously about the merits of doing this and most replies advised either going down 1 on front or up 2/3 on rear. Didn't seem to be any probs taking one off the front by the sounds of it.

Thanks.
Jacko.

Go back and read thread again, specifically my post
Old 16-May-2004, 21:20
Mille

Just re-read my original post and I AM knocking 1 off the front as suggested (748s is 14 tooth as standard).........

Anyway, I take the point that a 13 is too stressful on the chain - looks like I missed the opportunity when I had the new set put on.

Soooooo, anyone want a 13 toother FOC? Give me a shout.

P.S. Can anyone enlighten me why I can't get the original off????? Not that I need to now anyway.

Cheers

Jacko.
Old 16-May-2004, 21:48
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
try getting the shop to swap it..if it isnt used its worth a go. Isnt there a retaining clip on it? Cant remember for sure but think so, mine came off easy (and you cannot be worse than me!) using a haynes manual so hope its something simple that youre missing/
Old 17-May-2004, 09:02
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
I tried a 13 tooth on my 748e before going the full cost of a rear carrier & sprocket(42 teeth) slackened fully the chain, took off the clutch slave cylinder, & managed to get the chain off the rear sprocket, not easy but found it the only way.
14 front with a 42 rear is the way to go.

Chris.
Old 17-May-2004, 13:52
Big Twin

If you going for the larger rear (which as already mentioned is the way forward with a 748...not a 13 front!)...then you may well need a longer chain anyhow. The larger rear sprocket will have an effect of shortening you wheel base and increasing the ride height, if you keep the chain the same length, as chain adjustment and these two factors are directly linked due to the hub arrangement.

If you are having trouble removing the chain when fully slackened off, then it may be too short...if so it will definately need changing/more links adding if you increase the rear sprocket.

My advice...fit a replacement rear sprocket, say a 40 or 42 (either carrier+sprocket, or just just plain jobbie depending on finances). If you cannot then adjust the chain to the correct tension, with the hub almost as far back as it will go...then the chain is too short, and you may want to look into getting a new one to the correct length. Mike Davies and Nelly both do Tsubaki chains a v.good prices.

Once you have this sorted its just a case of adjusting the ride height to suit.

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by Harv748]
Old 17-May-2004, 14:59
Ducati Corse

It wont shorten the wheelbase will it? Doesnt the 748 have an eccentric adjuster? It will alter the ride height though.