Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Sep-2005, 19:51
DSC Club Member
Ducati Corse

Mood: I feel the need, the need for speed.
748R =
Old 27-Sep-2005, 19:59
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Being a contrary bugger I'd go for the 748R to get all the bling suspension bits, then if I needed a more power after a year or two I'd look at an 853 conversion.

Of course that'd only work if you're the type of person who likes to hang on to a bike for a while, if you're the type of person who likes to change a bit more frequently go for an unadulterated 998
Old 27-Sep-2005, 20:08
Bevel Head
Bikes: 1098s Tric

Mood: Tricolore :)
I had a 748s and was given the opportunity to upgrade to a 748R and took it, didn't seriously consider the 998 route at all - just wanted some "R"-ness. It is very peaky in terms of power and I will have to be honest and say I have not really pushed the chassis yet but it feels a much different animal...raw
Old 27-Sep-2005, 22:25
Bevel Head

Mood: Flatulent
Thanks all for your valued comments. I think a test ride will be the only way to decide as some of you have pointed out so i'll bide my time and keep an open mind. My heart says the 748 (i take on board your comments and various other threads about the rockers) but my head says 998 - I guess we'll see what's availoable when i decide to buy.

On the servicing front how do the home mechanics amongst you cope? Easy to service? Frame get in the way? Need particular tools? Lots of skinned knuckes? Or best left to the stealers?

Thanks again, Russell.
Old 28-Sep-2005, 17:40
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
more power than a 748R.........LOL..u lot mean more lazy power.....the 748R is revvy has plenty enough power for any1 ! sure you gotta work the gears a little more but thats part of the fun.....

If you want torque and lazy power to drive you down the looong straights then go 998.............but if you want all the best bits a revvy snappy motor with awesome brakes, handling, and kudos then the "R"all the way...

cant see why the " R " cost more to run or is more fickle to set up or run.?? i have had mine for 18 months without a hitch and has cost me no more than the 748S did............

guess im just lucky

748R all the way............................................... ...................
Old 28-Sep-2005, 23:18
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
depends on what you want. I had a 748r and it is by far the more involving bike than the 998, but as Phil says the 998 is the lazy option.

If you are doing track days or want a bike that is desperate to be ridden hard and enthusiastically go for the 748, if you want to go on longer rides with mates on litre bikes and not come home as tired, the 998 is far easier to live with in terms of grunt, its simply pulls in whatever gear where the 748 requires you to think and react more.

if its the 748 you go for make sure the rockers are done before you buy, other than that not much difference in running costs from my point of view.