Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Jun-2003, 11:42

headlights on 999

Anyone suffered exasperation trying to adjust the main beam level? - came home down a dark, twisty country lane last night and stopped half way to try and make it point up more (and further) using the adjuster but no success - just turn, turn, turn. Dip beam is actually better than main, wide spread of light, good and bright.
Old 27-Jun-2003, 16:39
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Oh is that what that big knob is for?
Old 27-Jun-2003, 17:15
Mille

Mood: not a happy bunny
Headlamp adjuster

Blimey i'm learning more about my bike every day!!!
Old 27-Jun-2003, 17:30
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
Just be a bit more aggresive with the throttle. That should make the light shine a bit higher
Old 27-Jun-2003, 20:27
Dibble

obviously Webbys only "big knob" is on his bike !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15-Jul-2003, 13:24

Headlight update

Well, spent loads of time getting the fairing off so I could get a closer look at the adjuster mechanism. Basically, its a plastic worm and cog arrangement made in soft black plastic that lowers and raises the back of the light unit. I think that some teeth have sheered off the cog part. Basically, the owners manual is wrong with regard to the direction of turn - to raise the beam turn the knob CLOCKWISE.

I know when this happened - when I took the bike for the first service I commented on the beam settings and was told that you just have to keep turning the adjuster... well, they obviously did that following the manual and f****d it.

Now, I wonder if that 'll be covered by the warranty....

I also really hope I never have a bulb blow when I'm out and about - the main beam is accessable but the dip really is a fairing off/miror remove/indicator disconnect/lower plastic shield removal - a right pain
Old 27-Aug-2003, 18:18
Montjuic

Mood: picture crazy
bigjohn- at first i was confused too- but after turning for a good minute- i saw that the levvel actual rose in extremely small increments----i must've turned the damn thing for 5mins before i got any real noticible movement....
Old 03-Sep-2003, 17:36
DSC Club Member

Mood: Life is not a rehearsal.
Headlight adjuster

I turned mine for ages & nothing happened but - if you remove the black plastick cover from beneth the front part of the fairing you can use an allen in the base of the vertical part of the worm for the Dip to turn it easily. Not sure about the Main though; plastick worms are often useless & Ducati ought to supply a replacement that works dont you think? Have fun with your worm, some one has to.
Old 04-Sep-2003, 10:36

Ah, so its not just me who's had a look. I used a small open ender (6mm) to turn the vertical post past the stripped (I presume) area of worm. Just don't drop the spanner into the headlight assembly...

I suppose the next thing I want is a way of turning both the main and dip on at the same time...- or some crashbars and spots...

(Used to have the Australian spec twin main/dip headlights on my 748 so have some comparison)
Old 05-Sep-2003, 15:15
DSC Club Member

Mood: Life is not a rehearsal.
headlights on 999

Oooh ah BigJohn999
that Aus 748 headlight sounds interesting as I still have my 748, with Xenon 30% brighter bulb in main beam and the only thing I could do for the dip was fit a blue/white bulb which made no real difference. Can you give me more detail? :P