Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 22-Aug-2011, 23:37
DSC Club Member
Mille

Smile brummywell park (the story so far )

As the very very proud owner of a large shiny cup i suppose i have the dubious honour of boring every one with the story so far,it started way back in 2009 when i borrowed my little sister sarahs white ss #96 and my 1st race at donnington,it was awesome,i think i got a point as well ,but i was hooked on battling with phil,nogs and jimbo,then race 2 mallory and they let me know just how much i had to learn,game on.Then race 3 anglesey,taken out by a brolly dolly!!!pushed collar bone out the back of my shoulder,hastily repaired with gaffer tape and me and the brummy team legged it back to england to lick our wounds (i kid you not!)even sams mum helped us to literally stick me back together,hmm need to follow the dd ethos,dont complain get on your bike and carry on !!!the season became a rapid learning curve,met some fantastic people and really made to feel part of the dd paddock,this was good,i could dream of getting up to race with the front guys(and gal ) instead of getting lapped.The season drew on and we went through the winter,i now had my own bike a little monster ,which allowed more movement for the lanky brummy dave (from leicester )by the way !,and with a little help from e bay and a lot of help from the likes of rosco,phil,nogs et al the bike was coming on nicely and it was time for the showboat race at silverstone,the family were there,and like most of us racers like to think ,maybe just maybe !!!but it was cold and wet (permission to say cock!!)this wasnt good and neither was i ,i didnt know what but i didnt feel good,any way this is a racing forum not holby city so to cut a very long story short,i was admitted to glenfield heart hospital for a triple by pass op-not good on several levels,and i was far to young for this kind of crap,i lost my race licence my hgv,i couldnt ride my road bikes,may loose my job and on and on
this happened in october 2010,with so much support from the ever attentive mrs jenkins,son robert and daughter penny and so many good wishes from dd ers,and friends off i went.Now this may sound a little mellow dramatic,but as many of you may know i am a hairy arsed truck mechanic ,not given to romance,but,as i was prepped for theatre ,i had three wishes 1/wake up again and take a deep breath,2/hold the hand of my wonderfull wife and hug the family and finally 3/one day get back on my race bike and do a lap or two. well 1 and 2 proved to be formalities (along with much hilarity and a few crap bummy dave jokes!in theintensive care unit (man the drugs in there are much better than you get around here !)anyway the 3rd goal proved a little more troublesome,but with a little encouragement from seeing what shep managed,we kept training and i finally got on the treadmill of doom but passed with flying colours,even though the consultant was convinced i had suffered brain issues during the op !! but hey ho i now had my hgv,my job and most importantly the fitness test for my acu licence,bugger i missed brands (maybe next year )so me and mrs brummy snook off and did an acu test at mallory this was good ,i could do 1.05 which was a massive improvement for me .the 2011 season started ,i picked up points all over the place ,but more importantly i was having epic battles,scott at anglesey,bradders as he flew by!!!paul pullen great fun at pembrey although i nearl mashed him at anglesey (sorry mate ) mike t and so many others,this was good and i was getting hungry again.Some people (scott,jimbo and now unfortunately Neil are having a more down than up year,gws and fix bikes soon guys !!and im sure that the dd paddock as usual will do all it can to get you all squared up and back on the grid,
Then came cadwell we met phil and the crew at the bar nogs was back,phil was wobbly but still ,as always (thanks mate )took my transponder off for its customary charge,we went to bed and woke to an unusual serenity arund the paddock (bum i woke far too early and now coulndt sleep )and to top it all someone had stolen mrs b s knickers,i knew she wouldnt mind loosing her knickers (thats never a problem )but its the 22 clothes pegs i would have to explain !!!!(only joking about the losing knickers bit ) oops .any way practice ,not good fewa hot laps bike died (big gulp of rusty water damn),carbs off mrs b and penny drain the tank i strip carbs rebuild 5 minutes to qually,shoot serenity has gone ,i know listen to some prodigy,go qually, .The bike feels good the track is good got tangled with skids a few times,sorry mate but im soooo glad you didnt see me coming in cleggy style at the hairpin!!! i had to calm down slower is faster,managed 13th overall on the grid,good for me 8th in class, but i knew it could be better,anyway off we went ,it was race time that 1st corner has always worried me but this time i felt in control some close but exilerating racing with alan parks,hugh,paul p (going like a train i thought here comes pembrey again)this was good i was living the dream i was in sight of phil and senna bradders had buggered off for tea !!! but wow i was there !<realisation crept in i could see a cup for the 1st time ok keep cool follow senna and watch for a weak spot ,damn he doesnt have any !hmm plan b were can i close my eyes and blame a back marker oh oh last lap the bike starts missing across the top of park (words to the effect of damn ,damn ,damn the bally engine !!)we tip in to the top of the gooseneck and the engine comes back,must be fuel ,right last chance is out of the hair pin kev is riding well ,predictable and wideok i have the drive down to the start finish every thing is on the floor but it doesnt matter, for a split second i am 3rdoh sh*t here come senna,hes got the gear we are going to touch (and it really is elbow bashing at its best most gentlemanly too !)kev wants it ,i want it doh by millimetres my chance for a cup is gone,well done kev,i have good points,say thanks to the ever attendant marshalls,go back with a smile and a funny noise in the engine.
sorry if this is going on a bit ,but if i dont write it down now i will forget !!.
race 2
I honestly cant remember a lot,but it didnt matter now i had raced with the front boys ,now it was time to take on the world !!!(or break down )much to the hilarity of the paddock as i bashed the carbs with a marshalls broom to seat the needle and stop petrol peeing over a hot engine,hmmm no flames of we go,as we stage up i checked the carbs again all good,we were off tight battle with hugh,paul p again skids,all ok cos i manage to get through safely,i found a whole new confidence being able to trust people in the pack ,this was good i cleared the pack and managed to get a bit of time on my own ,head down and see what happens,then comes hugh,snick by him at the mountain,then next time round i see someone has crashed at the goose neck (its hugh)but i didnt know i thought he was still behind me !!,i managed to get under ron at the hairpin and then chase this was good being part of the best battle i had been in for ages and i was third,now we are running out of time and it was phil,shhh he hasnt heard me coming!!!!it was charlies 2 into park fast and over the top,i know i trust phil but does he trust me ??,we both held our nerve and brown adrenaline,it worked i got through now senna ,damn deja vu, oh well you have to be in it to win it !he was quick i need a plan ,i know go realy fast and overtake him !! mmm bit basic,resulting in a very nearly crash at hall bends (too much ambition,not enough competance )plan b do the closed eyes thing,mm this could hurt us both,i know last chance saloon,the bottom of gooseneck i can out turn kev,if i rub my elbows on the floor and he pushes wide,woooooooah hang on hes gone wide (locked the front )go for it brummy,bugger nose bleed time i havent done this before and paul nelson is just over the mountain,again he is a steady rider and i know where he is going,kev must be smoking now so i hold back and leave it as late as i dare,under paul at the hairpin and leave phil and kev to fight,not only a fastest lap,but a first place cup in an honest battle,that meant soooo much to me,and as you can imagine ,if you are still awake,after the story so far,this was not part of the plan,there were tears and total amazement but there you go,if you want it enough you can have it.Big thanks to all involved fantastic racing with good mates and wonderfull family,
finally race 3 ,i managed a 3rd (by default)which is gladly taken,but as we came down to the grid on a red flag and we passed neil.ron and kev (fingers crossed that everyone was ok (gws neil ) we came to a halt and one by one we noticed that poor trudy had a fly in her eye !! and one by one she was consoled by the racers,cos we tend to forget about the people who support us and push us and cajole us,but they are always there --dreaming with us -- TARA A BIT
Old 23-Aug-2011, 01:02
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
quality riding mush....even if chasing you did make me crash

top job
Old 23-Aug-2011, 01:18
500SD

Mood: ready to race
nice one dave a well desevered win you rode like a champ
Old 23-Aug-2011, 06:31
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Nice one Dave, you well deserved that win, was watching from pit lane thinking who is this guy, it's not the Dave i know???, joking aside, it was great watching the way you rode this weekend

Chris
Old 23-Aug-2011, 06:34
Big Twin

Big up for the Brummy massive....

Well done Dave.
Old 23-Aug-2011, 07:16
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quality write up Dave and bloody funny. You were right I didn't hear you, in my peripheral I thought it was the flying pieman coming to lap me as you both have similar leathers. Then thought WTF

So pleased for you but you wern't gifted it, you rode for it, really well done.
Old 23-Aug-2011, 08:40
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Great write up dave and even some humor thrown in for good measure, never saw you as the humorous type

Congrats on the trophy even though as you say it was by default but thats racing you take the good with the bad. After Bradders got his first cup at Angelsey there seemed to be no stopping him i think once you have had a touch of silver the hunger for more creaps in hope the same goes for you.
Old 23-Aug-2011, 09:35
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Well done Dave. A long way from spending half a day deciding on gearing at Donnington!
Old 23-Aug-2011, 16:13
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Dave!!!!!...blimey..so many surprises.

I had no idea about the op..and no idea you had won. I would have loved to have seen that mate. Fantastic stuff and well done indeed

If the Steve Hambrook trophy was still in circulation you'd have been a dead cert for it!!

Unfortunately, racing will never quite be the same now you've claimed the top step. I hope you get a stack more trophies to make up for it though