Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Feb-2006, 02:48
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

get and ST with panniers! LOL.
As for sleeping bags, a good down one will compress really well and there are compressions straps you can get to make it even smaller. good mountaineering tents can be pretty small, but roomy and you can strap the poles somewhere else like along the frame. I used to use a fair size back pack on the rear of a DT200 Yamaha and then strapped a pair of skis on either side of it running from the footpegs, but a good back pack should give you a lot of packing options and a nice back rest (as long as you have some genuine ducati arm extensions LOL)
A month trip makes my mouth water!
Old 10-Feb-2006, 08:53
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
I could rent you an 1150 gsa for the trip , easy terms
Old 10-Feb-2006, 10:20
Mille

An ST would make life a little easier but not nearly as much fun, besides i've already got a wheelchair lined up for when i get back

I'm pretty much stuck with the gear i've got, 4 tyres and 2 springs for my car MOT has made sure of that. My mate is taking my tent poles for me, toyed with the idea of strapping them inside the bottom of the fairing but it's probably not a wise move.
Ski's strapped to a bike! bet thats a rare sight.

Thanks for the offer of the BMW, 2-3 months ago and i'd have bit your arm off.
Speaking of BM's it was the Long Way Round that finally convinced my mate to pass his bike test and get off dirt bikes. something i couldn't persuade him to do.
Old 14-Feb-2006, 18:48
Mille

I have had quite a few tankbags over the years and have found what I think is the best one, it's baglux and I have to say there great, no magnets to move around or scratch the tank, and they fit really well on the bikes I've borght them for and the colour scheme is a good match to, I have not bought one for my 999 yet but I will as soon as I have use for a tankbag,
take my advice and find out about baglux, hope this helps.
Old 14-Feb-2006, 21:25
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Tank Bag

I use an Oxford Lifetime one on my 999. Just plonk it on the tank and let the magnets do the rest.
Old 14-Feb-2006, 21:35
Montjuic

Yep i agree the magnetic oxford works well, done pyrenees twice with it.
Would be intrested in comments on the ventura system though, like does it fit with termis and does it not sit a bit high and catch the wind?.
Old 14-Feb-2006, 21:49
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Here's a pick of my system fitted on a mono. Does the job, but like you say is high and has to have the bag facing as shown cos it hangs over onto the seat.
Old 15-Feb-2006, 08:33
Mille

Plenty of different models and you all say they fit? The last one i tried the magnets wouldn't reach to the side of the tank without it sitting on my lap.
I'll have another crack at it must be my cock up.

don't really notice any drag with the pack on unless it's a side wind. Was concerned with it being fully loaded on the sidestand but it's fairly sturdy. Looking at it it occured to me that the bike is a lot heavier than the luggage so it's unlikely to topple. On the bip the rack is facing the other way. It attaches at the rear footpegs and goes vertical where the last 2 bolts hold the plastics down under the seat. Easy to put it on a paddock stand holding the rack.

i'd just cleaned it as well
http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2101069bx.jpg
Old 09-Mar-2006, 23:06
Montjuic

I want a new tankbag and quite fancy the Ducati heart shaped one (brand snob you'll understand) but the implication of the first post of this thread is that the DP bag is not much cop.

Is there anyone that has got one that can tell me what they are like in practice? Would be fitting it to an '05 999.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old 09-Mar-2006, 23:20
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Dave, I've got a DP Tank Bag for a 916/996/998 on my Triple 9 (it was dead cheap). Never had any bother with it.
I assume the one for the 999 is similar (unzip it and it doubles in size, etc).

Works well for me.