Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 28-Mar-2006, 21:44
Montjuic

Starting problems with 999 \'05 model

Dear All

I normally start my 999 in the morning in neutral with the stand down and the choke on. I went to start it this morning and just got an ominous clicking noise.

I got on the bike and shifted up and down through the box back to neutral to check neutral was properly engaged, lifted the weight of the bike off the stand and the bike started.

The bike continued to go when I put the weight back on the stand.

Pretty wierd huh?

Any ideas?

All help appreciated.

Dave
Old 28-Mar-2006, 22:02
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Sounds like a weak battery Dave, the clicking noise will be the starter motor relay just clicking in and out. You've almost certainly got a gel battery and they can sometimes be unreliable - should be able to get it changed under warranty if it's duff though.

Depends how far you ride as well - If you're starting it but only running a couple of miles between starts the charging system might not have enough time to do it's bit and the battery will gradually wear down.
Old 28-Mar-2006, 22:38
Montjuic

That doesn't feel right to me Jools. Once I took the weight off the stand it fired up great guns.

I ride it for about 30 miles a day most days and leave it on my Optimate if I am not going to ride it for a while.

Is there anyway I could tell if the battery is flaky so that I could rule it out?

Can I buy a testing meter? Or do I need to takew it to the dealer?

Thanks

Dave
Old 28-Mar-2006, 22:41
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
could have been the Detent spring sticking ! and it might not have recognised it was in neutral!
Old 28-Mar-2006, 23:01
Big Twin

Check the battery connections. Leaning the bike over would suggest weak connection somewhere and seeing as most other wiring is either lightweight or attached to frame I would think the battery or maybe even the solenoid would be most affected by gravity.
Old 28-Mar-2006, 23:03
Big Twin

Just a thought, but howsabout if you put a thick plank on floor ubder the stand and lean its weight on that? Does it still refuse to start? If not then the lean angle is more to blame than the stand
Old 29-Mar-2006, 06:57
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
As Alan said,it could be a loose connection somewhere or a dodgy starter solenoid.If its stilll under warrenty take it to a dealer rather than mess about with it yourself.