Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Jun-2005, 22:59   #1
Ducati Meccanica

SPS parts needed, pretty urgent now.....
I'm still in need of some parts to get the sps back together and running again.
this is probably a shot in the dark, but I need the following parts, and I prefer genuine parts for the bike in question.

they are as follows for an 888SPS .

1x cylinder barrel
1x cylinder head
1x complete set of valves
1x piston and rings.

I have managed to source all other parts that were damaged and that I needed , but am short on items above.

failing that, any contact number of bods that could help me out on parts.

cheers
robin
Old 15-Jun-2005, 23:12   #2
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I am really, really, really glad that you are going the distance with this bike.

I can't help with any of the parts because I couldn't even aspire to SPS ownership, but my view is that anybody who buys a bike like this isn't really the owner, just the custodian of a super rare piece of Ducati history with a responsibility to do their utmost to keep it for posterity.

This doesn't mean "don't use it for the purpose that it was designed", I'm all for that! My Uncle has always been into vintage cars, I've been to several vintage racing event's with him as a kid and I've always admired people who have owned precious objects like a vintage "Birdcage" Maserati and are still ragging the arse off them round Silverstone.

However, they've also got the attitude that if they bend it they'll mend it- on the grounds that with things like these, which are made from unobtainium, any time that one of these things is "written off" it's not just a loss to the owner, but the entire community of enthusiasts.

Since there are so few 888 SPS's in existance it would be a crying shame to lose one...like the last Spitfire

[Edited on 15-6-2005 by Jools]
Old 15-Jun-2005, 23:21   #3
Ducati Meccanica

thanks jools, I've had so many sleepless night over this bike, keep it, sell, even break it up.

but at the end of the day, it's a bike I allways dreamed of having at sometime in my life, at whatever the damage to my wallet.

So it's full steam ahead and sort her out, hopefully sooner than later, and before summer ends.
Was hoping to get up to the lakes raid meet on her, but thats looking a bit tight now.

cheer mate
robin
Old 16-Jun-2005, 12:02   #4
Mille

Very eloquently put, Jools. I couldn't agree more.

Hi Robin,
Am very glad you have decided to keep the bike. Once it's back together and you spend more time on it, you'll love it
Have had a look in my owners manual and it shows the SP4 /SPS valve diameter as being the same. I don't know how far you got with a parts list, but do you know if the part numbers are different? Maybe the valves are the same as the SP4? Know it's not much but it may help.
Re your other post, I can't help you, as the only information I have on the differences between the SP4/ SP5/ SPS/ Corsa motors is from magazine articles at the time, and they all give different information. (how unusual....... )
My SPS was originally imported into the UK by Steve Wynne, who used to have Sports Motorcycles in Bollington, Cheshire. I know the shop is no longer there, but Steve used to have something to do with the DOC as an officer of the club, although they don't list him on the club website.
Maybe he is still about, I've no idea but it may be worth a shot?
Keep us up to date with your progress, I look forward to hearing it's back on the road.
Regards,
Gary.
Old 16-Jun-2005, 12:36   #5
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Robin, do you have any part numbers? What's the engine number? What year was it built? Do you know if it is the same engine spec as a 888R?
Old 16-Jun-2005, 14:41   #6
GTL

Robin

Also glad you decided not to break the bike. If you need any help with part numbers, there's a chap on the Yahoo 851 group that has always been very helpful. Have a look there, or let me know if you want his contact details. I believe Steve Wynne is still around and interested in Ducatis - I spoke to him about footrests not that long ago. I've probably got the number somewhere if you can't find it. There are people at ProTwins (Brett) and Moto Rapido (Steve or Wilf) who are very keen on 851/888 bikes, might be worth a call; also Alec Short at ProTeam Ducait in Wimbledon.

Good luck

Andrew
Old 16-Jun-2005, 15:02   #7
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by gary888

My SPS was originally imported into the UK by Steve Wynne, who used to have Sports Motorcycles in Bollington, Cheshire. I know the shop is no longer there, but Steve used to have something to do with the DOC as an officer of the club, although they don't list him on the club website.
Maybe he is still about, I've no idea but it may be worth a shot?
Keep us up to date with your progress, I look forward to hearing it's back on the road.
Regards,
Gary.

Lily lives in Bollington (apparently ) I know where the shop was etc, just trying to see if anyone round here might have any contact details for Steve.

Robin, I assume Ducati do not make these parts anymore? do you have part numbers? bit of a long shot but a friend of a friend knows someone in Italy who can get any Ducati Part upto RS spec if they have the part number.
Old 16-Jun-2005, 15:13   #8
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Steve Wynne - Disley, Stockport, Tel:- 01663 765238
Old 16-Jun-2005, 15:20   #9
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
hi Steve,i will be seeing the guru tomorro ,i know he has just bought back his sps that he used to race ,i will ask if he has or knows of any spares
Butch
Old 16-Jun-2005, 15:38   #10
Ducati Meccanica

thanks for all reply guys, all info much appreciated.
getting part numbers of bits I need together.

will update this post shortly

cheers
robin