Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Feb-2006, 20:44

Bike unused through winter

Hi everybody. After laying up the 999 for the winter,well since october anyway, it has been in the garage on trickle charge. What is the recomended situation for using the bike for the first time, i.e. is it just get on and ride or is it best to leave it running for a while to get all the oil circulating, as this is the longest I've left a bike without use?
Old 16-Feb-2006, 00:10
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
fresh petrol (thats if you left any in) warm it up and it should be fine but , have you run it up occasionally ?? if not i would be very very very careful, even better trailer or van it to the bike shop and get them to change the belts because if i remember Pyschlist correctly, after 3 months of standing idle they will have lost their flexibility will have begun to take the shape(if thats the correct wording) of the way they are on the pulleys, and may snap !! and that would be very expensive
So as i said book it in for a belt change and either ride it very carefully to the shop or trailer or van it .

of course i am no expert so expect someone will be along soon to correct me
Old 16-Feb-2006, 18:46
Mille

Mood: Sparks will fly. If it keeps on
Just start it, let it warm up then ride the thing. My belts are fine and it sat last year with no problems over the winter and i will just be starting mine once out of the Vac bag.
Old 16-Feb-2006, 20:51
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Tend to leave my bike from late Oct to March most years. Start it up and let it tick over for a few mins at the most. You have to remember that bikes are not designed to be started and left idling for 1/2 and hour. Leave it long enough to let the engoing reach the rockers etc then take it for a ride. Take it nice and steady for the first 4 or 5 miles then start to open it up.

As for the belts I wouldn't worry too much. Just get them swapped when they are 2 years old ... even if the bike has stood for 2 years.