Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-May-2006, 13:45
Big Twin

Mood: Ducati-less!
So TP, you must be able to get us a nice discount...*hinthint*

It's something I'd like to do, it's just the cost of it that's stopped me so far.
Old 24-May-2006, 13:59
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

I'm guessing that Tom Luthi was in GP's before CSS got hold of him???

So he was probably faster than any of us ever will be anyway!

I'm sure that all the theory is 100% spot on and is good for those capable of translating it to their riding or as a reminder (as in Luthi's case?) to stop bad habits.

I think like Nige/andyb on this one too. I'm curious about CSS, but I'm never gunna be in BSB or GPs, so for me it's money not worth spending. I also think that if you're gunna trundle around in a slow/inter group on a trackday etc - why the hell spend all that money to remain a trackdayer? Albeit maybe a slightly quicker one?

You've either got the skill/balls to be fast or you haven't.

Not knocking CSS, if I was loaded I'd probably do all the levels just out of curiosity - and maybe I'd be a better rider for it too.

Old 24-May-2006, 14:02
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
Quote:
Originally posted by domski

You've either got the skill/balls to be fast or you haven't.

TBH I'm pretty much a believer of this, I would like to see what CSS can do for me but the cost for what I think wouldn't work on me is what puts me off.
I know most of the theories but my throttle hand still shuts off when I ask it not too LOL
Old 24-May-2006, 14:04
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
Do we really think Luthi gets the same tuition as 'joe public' same classes, same sit down for 40 mins....

Well yes and no.... i'm sure he gets that... but i seriously doubt that's ALL he gets....

I'm sure Andy teaches him stuff we never ever get to know.
Old 24-May-2006, 14:15
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by couchcommando
TBH I'm pretty much a believer of this, I would like to see what CSS can do for me but the cost for what I think wouldn't work on me is what puts me off.
I know most of the theories but my throttle hand still shuts off when I ask it not too LOL

Thats pretty much how I feel about it, i'm not a natural racer I have to be taught and I am mostly self taught and do wonder what some professional coaching would do for my racing.
And as per Steve I'm not sure I would get great value for money from the lower levels and at my age its not something \i worry about to much. Evry time I take to the race grid I learn somthing and the main thing I have learnt is don't take it to serious its only my hobby and is there to be enjoyed.
Now if I was trying to make my living from racing a bike I would need all the help I could get along with a bigger pair of balls
Old 24-May-2006, 14:16
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy2
Do we really think Luthi gets the same tuition as 'joe public' same classes, same sit down for 40 mins....

Well yes and no.... i'm sure he gets that... but i seriously doubt that's ALL he gets....

I'm sure Andy teaches him stuff we never ever get to know.

...but I think Luthi would be a GP star without that anyway.

Bit like teaching Rooney how to kick a football!!!!

IMHO

[Edited on 24-5-2006 by domski]
Old 24-May-2006, 14:21
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
Agreed Dom... he was hadly rubbish a few years back... ok, he wasn't winning... but that could be the bike as much as the rider and natural progression.
Old 24-May-2006, 14:23
500SD

Mood: Pretty good considering....
Dominic - there have been many discussions on this over the years - try a search on here or on Visordown.

It seems to me that those who are used to being taught in other aspects of their lives find it really good - it's something you need to approach with an open mind and be prepared to listen. Those that haven't benefitted from it are often those who think that starting at level one (as everyone does because it is the basic building block on which everything is built) is beneath them and go with preconceived ideas.

It's interesting to see from the comments above that some people don't think it's for them because they are racers and think it's aimed at road riders, whilst others think it's not for them because they are not GP stars. Can't win really, can they! As Tony says, it's aimed at anyone who wants to improve their cornering skills.

It is expensive - but maybe you need to compare the cost of improving your riding, something which is transferable to any bike, with spending the same money on improving your bike. Why not buy/borrow Twist of the Wrist and see what you think? (I believe most people find book 2 comes before book 1 but am happy to be corrected)

And no, I've not done it (I don't have a bike licence!) but I have listened to Andy and the others doing their stuff on 3 x 2 day courses now and also listened to what many of the students have had to say about their experiences of the school.

Incidentally Dom, yes Luthi was in 125s before he got involved with Andy in early 2005. In 2004 he finished 25th in the championship, in 2005 he won it - with the same team. Something must have changed...
Old 24-May-2006, 14:28
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Abstract thoughts on this, having completed level 1 and read the books.

Learning is - action, reflection, theory and application. This is how you improve performance.

If you can do this with your riding, road or track, then fine. Any 'school' encourages you to do this as a process of improvment.

Rather than just reinforcing good and bad habits on continous trackdays etc..the school could help introduce you to this cycle of learning an improvment.

I am puzzled by people who can't articulate what went right or wrong, what they learnt and what they are doing differently to improve. The what has to be specific, not just - follow others, brake later, go faster?

By breaking learning down into small measureable chunks it becomes easier to act, learn and apply, so that it becomes 'natural'.

If you can and do this already, don't go to school, if you want to learn how then go!

IMHO

I usually use the boards as a break from work.....
Old 24-May-2006, 14:31
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
This is the major problem with it as I see it. You have to start at the bottom - there is no account taken of your experience. It's a prescribed course which, AIUI (correct me if I am wrong) seems to assume that there is one way only.

Admittedly, I don't know the content of the course so, I am making assumptions based on hearsay and what others have related here but, if I am going to pay £100's to listen to someone tell me how to adjust my pegs, levers, seating position etc then I am not going to be very happy. What I am looking for is that final 0.5s per laps to get me from 8th or so into the top 3. Will CSS help me find that? If it can't then I'm not interested.

I read Twist of the Wrist - found it boring and turgid. Hardly likely to enthuse the reader. I'd much rather get out on the track and ride with someone who beats me regularly. I will definitely learn something from that.