Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-May-2004, 16:45
Bevel Head
Bikes: ST2, 750ss, 350 Forza, W650, CB250RS, 5x Royal Enfields

Mood: Nesun Dorma
MS as a working bike?

I am thinking of relegating my ST2 to spare bike status and am considering a big trailie as my work bike. The question I am asking is: what is the MS like with regard to working hard, I am biased toward Ducati because I have two already but I am not blind to some of their shortcomings. My decision will have to be business orientated not emotive. I have a bike touring business here in Spain.

The other bikes in the frame are BMW R1200 GS, BMW R1150 GS the Kawasaki KLV1000 (a V-Strom clone) or possibly a Honda Varadero.

I am considering a trailie after having access to these bikes on test recently and found that not having the weight on my arms was a great relief, My ST2 has the comfort kit but this still gives a forward posture, which is fine on the faster routes I use but is quite tiring on the very twisty routes where it is not possible to keep up momentum.

The bike will have to work quite hard at times with a lot of gearchanges on the mountain routes so a light clutch would help too (both my Dukes have heavy clutches) So come lads give me some feed back, without the rose tints!
Old 17-May-2004, 23:54
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Well my Multistrada has got a fairly heavy clutch.The action could be made lighter tho with an oversized slave cylinder.For attacking moutain roads the MTS would be ideal.The 1000DS motor has loads of lowdown oomph and the handling is superb.
Before the MTS,I had a Cagiva Navigator with the TL1000 motor.(Same as the Kwack you mentioned)The Suzuki motor is a heavy old lump that has been detuned.The MTs would leave it for dead.Clutch action is lighter tho!
Old 24-May-2004, 19:08
Bevel Head

Thanks KB,

I noticed that KLV1000 seemed to vibrate through the frame, which my ST2 doesnīt . I suppose I expected a newer design engine to be better than my old ST unit, and you are right about the weight. on the subject of weight the BMW R1200 GS is lighter than the ST but what it lacks in weight it makes up for in height, so it felt a bit scary turning it round on the roads here ( narrow and long drops off the edges) with just toes on the road.

I sat on an MS in the local dealers showroom and although it felt tallish I thought I could probably manage it ( that was with the planky seat) but how it would be with a comfy seat I dont know. I am not a dwarf 5Ļ9" with 30in inside leg but I aint no Harlem globetrotter either.

Still thinking

Old 25-May-2004, 08:25
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hmm,I believe the DP comfort seat adds about 15mm to the seat height due to the gel insert.Sergant make one for the MTS that looks the same height as the origional.Looks good,but I cant comment on the comfort.
Personally I have got used to the seat.It seems to have got softer over the year I've owned the bike.(Or I've got a cast iron @rse!)
Old 25-May-2004, 20:43
Bevel Head

I wondered about the extra seat height, as you say you have got used to it .......maybe itīs a case of familiarity breeds content ( rather than contempt)