Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Mar-2004, 21:43
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
My first 200 miles

Collected the MS on a dull rainy day, - 7 mile ride home, - wipe her down in the garage for the next day then. That day about a 40 mile bimble around Sussex. It was dry, but the roads were wet in places. A week later it is the Surrey and South meeting for ride down to Winchester and 150 mile round trip.

My thoughts after the first 200 miles.

Well where do I begin, and what do I type that might be of value to other prospective MS owners? Perhaps I should qualify my Ducati experience. Rode a few about 12 years ago, - 900SS Darmah, 600 Pantah, then 5 years ago got myself a Superlight and then about 18 months ago a 1998 916. So all in all pretty Ducati adjusted.

I bought the MS as I really wanted a bike that could do a bit of everything, - a couple of times last summer I took the option of not going on a journeys on the bike but in the car instead, - as either it involved some town work or it was too many miles on a motorway both of which in my opinion are not 916 friendly routes, - also to add my wife whilst never ever complaining about the 916 clearly was not that comfortable.

So initial thoughts:

This bike is cold to ride, - it is not only cold for your hands, but a bit colder on your body than a fully faired bike, - logical I know but not something I gave a thought to before hand. Answer, just bought a new pair of gloves, and put a jumper on over a tee shirt for last weekends ride. Sorted. I think the comfort screen that is on order might help a bit.

The MS gets dirty easy, - and is not so easy to clean, - hugger on order.

The bike handles really well, - on a motorway you have so much visibility, and are really aware of everything that is around you, - in Ducati terms the mirrors are fine, you may have to move your elbow in a bit, but how hard is that? The rider input required to turn the bike of line is so small compared to my 916, - and the suspension works, - well it works on our shite roads, - on the 916 I would tense up if I saw a wet patch or a drain cover on the road ahead, - the MS just seems to deal with the normal conditions much better. I on a couple of occasions have even overtaken a bit later than I would of, not being so concerned about what the road surface might be like as I was on the wrong side of the road out- braking a car before a bend.

The engine feels a lot lighter to spin up that the 900Ss it is derived from, - internals must be lighter. It is too early to say much more than that as I have the 5000rpm restriction still, - interestingly the engine felt really tight for about the first 80 miles, loosened off after that.

Riding position and riding it, - it seems that if you want to push it a bit you need to sit forward on the seat at the back of the tank, - supermoto style, don’t know why but cornering seems to flow a bit better. It has the normal Ducati smile factor of coming on song as you hit the apex of a bend; - I think this bike will be fun when she is run in. The seat is absolutely fine for me, I guess being used to Ducati firmness 150 miles was not a problem for me, - I think it is like a bicycle saddle you may have to give it time to get adjusted to it. The clutch a few people have said is heavy, - again being used to Ducati clutch’s I would say not, - but I do think that Ducati have again placed the levers a fraction too high. I ride with 2 fingers on clutch and brake lever, - and with the levers as flat as they are it causes a tension in your forearm that makes it tough to pull in the clutch after an hour. I am going to see if I can drop the levers down a cm. I suspect the clamps with have the usual pin in them to stop you misaligning them so I may have to find my file.

Wow factor? Not sure. I really smile when I am riding her, but parked up with all the DSC bikes on Saturday I did miss the curves and lines of my 916. One thing is odd, - I now get nods and waves from Goldwing owners, BMW owners, and big tralie owners, - ‘still get ignored by R1’s etc, but that is just Ducati envy!

All in all I am happy after this short time, It does require a different mindset, sure it’s a Ducati, - but it is not a Ducati to be taken seriously, somehow it is just a funny happy bike. I am really looking forward to this summer. My wife is coming with me to BSB/ WSBK and we are looking forward to popping up to The Kings Road on a Saturday afternoon just for fun. Anybody want to babysit for us?
Old 30-Mar-2004, 22:23

I agree with your findings. I got my Multi 10 months ago, after years of sports 600's 750's & finally a 900ss. It took about 300 miles to feel natural riding it. I also find you have to sit at the front of the seat for the best ride, & the seat is now fine for me, even on a 2000 miles in 1 week trip. The comfort screen is essential, & I think the bike desperatly needs extras to turn the look from a funny/happy bike into somthing a little more interesting.
In the past I have always changed my bike almost on a yearly basis, but somhow I have become attached to this bike, covered double my usual anual mileage, & have no plans to change it.
I do recomend that people check the suspension settings after delivery, because they come with NO setup at all. The settings in the handbook are a very good start for the average weight rider.
I agree that parked up next to a 999 they are not as sexy, but what is that saying about not looking at the mantlepiece....
I think it depends on how much of your fun is derived from riding or posing. As a fun bike to ride, & surprisingly quickly, IMHO the Multi is a great original bike.
Old 31-Mar-2004, 09:20
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Cold hands?

Have you thought of trying some Moto-X hand guards or getting some heated grips Ian?
Old 31-Mar-2004, 16:24
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by psychlist
Have you thought of trying some Moto-X hand guards or getting some heated grips Ian?
All available in the DP catalogue mate!
Ian,
Good post,it made me want to go out for a ride.Shame I'm playing Mr.Mom and will be taking my daughter swimming in a mo.If only I could stretch her legs to reach the pillion pegs.........hmmm!
Rod is right about the suspension.A bit of fiddling can make a good handling bike into a great handling bike.
As standard the rear end was way too soft for me,also the rear preload markings are a bit confusing.The handbook says the std setting is at the lowest position yet it says STD half way up the scale of the adjuster.Ive set mine at STD plus two clicks.Ive also wound in the damping adjusters another turn.The front factory settings are good for me so I have left them alone.The bike handles great and gives me loads of confidence,even on some of the wet rides us BHC boys have had.
The bike is also way too quiet.Very un-Duke-like.I have fitted an open clutch cover and pinged out the airbox restrictors.The intake roar is lovely.Ive resisted the urge to splash out on a Termig system,I'm gonna wait untill some of those barking systems the continental boys have become available.The twin can SilMotors my favourite at the mo.
You are right about a hugger.After the (very) wet DSC track day my bike was filthy.Took me ages to clean it.The rear crankcases and shock area being the worst.I'm gonna go for the Skidmarx GRP item,(70quid)as I'm not bothered about carbon.
Just ordered some new tyres as the rear Scorpion is shot,..........happy days!
Old 01-Apr-2004, 20:47
Ducati Meccanica

I used my DSC card and got a good discount on a DP carbon hugger, just waiting for it to arrive now, together with my screen, and rear seat cover up thingie (which I got as the rear seat does not fit close enough to the bodywork in my opinion, in the hope that the seat cover single stylie thing may fill in a gap).

Out tonight for a little blat down the twisty Sussex Lanes, what a lovely gentle blue tint we have to our instruments. Think I now understand why it helps to sit forward when going for it: It allows you to put weight on the pegs rather than just your backside, and the MS likes to be moved around with not only counter steering but quite a bit of pressure through the foot pegs, it is a true Ducati Sportsbike after all

Still smiling
Old 01-Apr-2004, 22:37
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Still smiling
... and still in love ... ahhhhhh
Old 28-Jun-2004, 00:34
Ducati Meccanica

I am tempted to do a "the next 800 miles" write-up? This bike keeps growing on me the more I learn to push it that little bit more and ride it like the hooligan bike it can be. Another happy Sunday on the numptystrada
Old 28-Jun-2004, 09:43
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Ian - gerrout & ride it more - got my present bike when you did.....................:P

C
Old 28-Jun-2004, 10:23
Ducati Meccanica

lol
Old 28-Jun-2004, 10:24
500SD

Mood: Smiles
Ian, that's great, I think they're a fantastic bike, as you say handling is ace, breaks are good, and engine is GORGEOUS... I think it's a big grin factor bike, although a touch too tall for me... excellent bike for most conditions with confidence.. and as you say, certainly run in, you will love it even more... the looks WILL grow on you, just takes times..

but the ride of the Multistrada in my opinion is a fantastic well handled good all round and extremely fun bike.....

Have fun, and keep grinning...