Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Apr-2006, 15:17
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 900SSie

750ss Goodness!

Today is my first day with my (new to me) 1996 750ss. It's been properly stored for the last 10 years and has only 535 miles on the clock. I'm committing sacrelige by commuting 70 miles a day on it. Sorry for any popped veins that may have caused.

After my M600 it feels so smooth on the power and so well balanced. I'm in love with it after a single ride. The Ducati dealer was a little confused when I asked about running in procedures for a 1996 750ss but Motorapido were very helpful and knowledgable. I'd also like to thank you people here who helped me to replace the pitted forks with 900ss showa adjustables. I found a 2nd hand pair in good condition from a breakers and fitted them last night.

Thank you all!
Old 26-Apr-2006, 15:21
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Welcome on-board.

Two Ducati's - you lucky person, they are meant to be ridden, so no popped veins here!

Glad you've found the site useful, pictures please

And since its your first post and I'm happy that my old minging header system has hopefully been consigned to Ducati heaven...

I'll have a JD and coke please - CHEERS!

Frank
DSC Webteam
Old 26-Apr-2006, 17:49
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Have the belts been changed before you started commuting on it?

If the bike has been stored for 10 years (even properly) and the belts haven't been changed it's almost certain that they've become 'set' around their resting position over that time and could jump on the pulleys. The likelihood is that, if this happens, your pistons and valves will meet in a very expensive collision which will do heaps of damage to your engine.

If the bike is 10 years old the belts may even be the ones with white writing on them and not the latest kevlar reinforced ones - which have red writing on them. If they're white writing ones or even red kevlar reinforced ones that have stood for some time change them before you even start the bike again.

Sorry to be negative but I would hate to see an engine written off before it's even run in.
Old 26-Apr-2006, 21:14
Mille

Hehe don't worry first thing I did was replace the belts. Then I did an oil and filter change. The bike had a new fuel filter and the carbs and fuel pump stripped before I bought it.

I was a bit iffy about going out on 10 year old tyres but they are actually holding up quite nicely! At least while I'm running in anyway and not blatting around everywhere. There's as much grip as the Conti-Sports I had on the Monster.

I had a scare on the way home, cruising along the dual carriage way at 4K RPM in top gear (about 70mph ish) and all power went. I pulled over and the bike would tick over but as soon as any throttle was applied it bogged and died. Almost had a bloody heart attack as I thought I'd naffed the engine before I'd gone 100 miles. It's then I noticed that the breather pipe to the tank was nipped shut. A quick yank later and all was well.

Pictures to follow as soon as I find my digi-cam . . . . no idea where it's got to!

PS. As above drinks all round!

[Edited on 26-4-2006 by tranquil_rage]
Old 27-Apr-2006, 09:00
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
I think I saw this bike for sale on ebay a little while ago. Is that where it came from? My exceptionally low miles stuck in my mind.
Old 27-Apr-2006, 09:27
Mille

Yes this is the exact same one. He didn't mention the pitted to destruction forks or the small dent in the tank though!

I couldn't even beat him down on the price as he wasn't present and the money was being collected by the garage who did the fuel system overhaul. Quite angry with him but very happy with the bike. Still a bargain at £2400 for what is essentially a brand new bike (minus the 2nd hand suspension but thats an upgrade to what was on there anyway).

Next step is exhausts, K&N, dynojet and some braided lines for the brakes/clutch. Then I may look at a few cosmetic aspects such as replacing the chunky rubber footpegs with something a little more appealing. :P
Old 27-Apr-2006, 11:10

Sounds like me 4 months ago. Bought a 1993 900SS and got paranoid about the belts. Replaced those myself then prceeded to spend about A$1000 on carbon fibre front guard, rear hugger, clutch cover, sprocket cover and belt covers. Then there was a dollar or two more for the Yoyodyne clutch slave (to fix a leak and lighten the pull), Nicholls basket, VeeTwo hub, Barnett clutch pack and a pressure plate and springs. Almost forgot about the Dyna coils with leads (red of course), spark plugs and braided brake lines (yet to fit) and I am watching a braided clutch line on eBay for sale in Queensland. And this is after only 4 months.

Had a new rear tyre when I bought it but need a front - that's done and both are nicely scrubbed in now. Already thinking of FCR 41 carbs and carbon mufflers - and wondering if this is what owning a Ducati is all about.

Must be it - is night time here in Oz now and I am watching American Chopper until the polish dries.
Old 27-Apr-2006, 11:21
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by TassieDave
prceeded to spend about A$1000 on carbon fibre front guard, rear hugger, clutch cover, sprocket cover and belt covers. Then there was a dollar or two more for the Yoyodyne clutch slave (to fix a leak and lighten the pull), Nicholls basket, VeeTwo hub, Barnett clutch pack and a pressure plate and springs. Almost forgot about the Dyna coils with leads (red of course), spark plugs and braided brake lines (yet to fit) and I am watching a braided clutch line on eBay for sale in Queensland. And this is after only 4 months.

Had a new rear tyre when I bought it but need a front - that's done and both are nicely scrubbed in now. Already thinking of FCR 41 carbs and carbon mufflers - and wondering if this is what owning a Ducati is all about.

Yep, you got it....Ducati ownership = a never ending wish list of trick bits
Old 27-Apr-2006, 11:24
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
"wondering if this is what owning a Ducati is all about"..................you got that one right!

John