Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Jun-2006, 00:16

Newbie questions

Hi folks,
recently bought a 1000SS & I've got some typical "newbie" questions. It's due the 1st annual service. I'm assuming I'll have to take it to my nearest dealer, Ducati Glasgow.

The service book doesn't make clear what'll be done for a service @ 1800 miles. Any guidelines.....is it fixed price?

One of the white nylon-looking clamps that holds the front mudguard on is split...possibly been overtightened....? Will that be replaced under warranty?

It's still running on the original Michelins. I'm happy with the feedback from the front & there's still 12/15mm of tyre not touched yet.
I'm using more of the rear, 6/7mm from the edge. The rear doesn't give me a lot of confidence, feels vague/loose when applying some power out of corners. The previous owner has used similar lean angle on the tyre so I'm not exploring new ground. Do other owners feel similarly?

Exhaust cans......want something a bit louder but I want them road-legal. Plod are targeting the areas I ride so a stamped can is essential.
What are the alternatives......presumably cans aren't a major problem but the link pipes......?? Budget is not unlimited.

Any help much appreciated.
Gary
Old 24-Jun-2006, 00:27
Ducati Corse

Hi Gary and welcome.

First service is lubrication and full check over, Martin at Ducati Glasgow is a good guy and will talk you through the costs etc. including a view on the possible warranty issue.

Also check out www.ducati-upnorth.com for really useful info and a great bunch of people to meet up with.

Henners
Old 24-Jun-2006, 06:34
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hi and welcome to the board.
Your bike has only covered 1800 miles so a big service is not really required.An interim service should suffice.As Henners said,its a matter of changing the fluids and a general check over.Ducati Glasgow seem to be a good bunch of blokes and can advise you better than us.
Yep your mudguard clamp should be covered by warrenty,again ask Ducati Glasgow.
Hmmm,no feel from the Michelin tyres,.....I bet they are those 'orrible Pilot Sports.Bin them and fit the newer Pilot Powers or Pirelli Diablo's.
As for exhausts,there is a number of companies that make 'road legal' cans to fit i.e SS.Look for Arrow.LeoVince,Remus,Sil Motor,etc.These are stamped up with the relevent 'E' mark but have removeable baffles for 'track days'. Most of the i.eSS bikes have the same fitting,(750,900,1000) so exhausts from these bikes should fit.(Dont go for cans from the carbed SS tho!)Ebay is your friend!
Old 24-Jun-2006, 08:34
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
I have a set of basically new low-level oval carbon Ducati Performance pipes available

....not road legal though....not too noisy either.
Old 24-Jun-2006, 09:29
500SD

Hi Gary

You could always get the cans 'cored' by a company like Baines Racing. They'll remove some of the internals to allow better breathing. That way, they'll still look completely standard.

Police stopped me for a check last summer (with these cans fitted) and they didn't bat an eye. Always passes MOT too.

Steve
Old 24-Jun-2006, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by twpd
I have a set of basically new low-level oval carbon Ducati Performance pipes available

....not road legal though....not too noisy either.

Yes I know you do TWPD (been looking at the forum for several weeks)
really need the road-legal spec.

Thanks for 4 replies in less than 12 hours chaps, impressed, ta.
I don't want to retain the standard cans because I think they're ugly beggars.
I use ebay so I'll try there, but I'd be interested in knowing of suppliers that you guys use/trust.

The tyres are indeed Pilot Sports........not popular then? Front seems to take a wee while to warm up, but after that seems reasonable, but since I'm new to the bike I'm prepared to be told otherwise..........however just remembered this........when braking fairly hard behind traffic to a standstill there's a strong shudder from the front end as if the tyre's locking-up (but isn't) At the moment I've got the suspension backed-off to it's softest settings. Suspension or tyre problem? I have increased everything at the front a little as it was a bit too soft, but haven't ridden it yet.

Thanks again chaps.
Old 24-Jun-2006, 17:19
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 900SSie

The shudder is possibly suspension related. I'd say that's more than tyre woes. Maybe someone with a bit more know-how can lend us some advice.