Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 11-Jan-2005, 16:35
BSB Star

ohhhhhhhhhh at you bitch!
Old 11-Jan-2005, 16:38
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Quote:
Originally posted by chicken
Quote:
Originally posted by flanker
Why worry about what's happening behind you, and be distracted? Worry about what is in front of you.

I don't doubt my ability to emerge from a corner unscathed on an empty road - but it would be nice to know if someone plans to come up the inside...

The only truly scarey moments I've had on track have been when I've been undercut on a bend. To be honest, it's that aspect of racing that's the most offputting...

But knowing it's about to happen has to be dangerous. If someone behind you has predicted your racing line and undertakes, they are relying on you staying on that line, surely? If you see them and panic, wouldn't you change direction and risk causing a smash? I've no experience of racing, of course, but I would guess that the one saving grace is that you can't see what's happening behind you.
Old 11-Jan-2005, 16:39
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
If you moved off line to avoid a possible incident, you're more than likely going to cause someone else to have an accident IMO
Old 11-Jan-2005, 17:39
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
It won't pass scrutineering anyway. Even if it were allowed, as you're looking through the corner, all you see behind you is the empty edge of the track. To see "up the inside" behind you, you would have to be looking in the opposite direction of the corner. Not a great idea me thinks.
Old 11-Jan-2005, 17:43
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
It is the responsibility of the person overtaking to do so safely-you don't want to know what is happening behind you, you will have enough to think about with whats happening in front-thats why race bikes don't have mirrors....................

John
Old 11-Jan-2005, 17:51
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

DickieD is being a bit harsh on the product Chi.

I think youve probably got the idea now that your vision needs to 100% on whats going on in front of you.

I actually have one of the cycling helmets made by reevu and it has its uses - but only at slow pedal bike speeds I think. It takes some practise to re-focus your eyes from the road and then to the mirror and back again.

Cheers - Frank
Old 12-Jan-2005, 00:36
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by flanker
If you're being lapped, be aware of the flags, and move off the racing line. [Edited on 11-1-2005 by flanker]

please Don't If I or anybody else are going to be lapping anyone then stay on the racing line and I/we will find a way past, otherwise it will be guess which way the person is going to move. If anybody is travelling fast enough to be lapping you it shouldn't take them long to find away past.
This is one reason why a lot of circuits have stopped using blue flags as the faster rider has to make a decision on which side to pass as he aprroaches and if the slower rider then changes coarse he may well collect the fast rider and take them both down. Just stay on your line and let the faster guys look after themselves.

And Phil if you can't see anybody behind you its because you have a big lead following a first corner pile up.

Kev