Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Nov-2005, 10:34
Mille

Getting Neutral

Now that I've put a new clutch in following my breakdown a couple of weeks ago, I took the SP2 to work yesterday, and it caused quite a stir - everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, stops on the streets to see what the hell is making that thunderous noise ! People walking up their drives even stopped, turned round, and walked back out to the road to see what it was ! And people in my office 50 yards away from the bike, 2 floors up and behind 15cm. of double glazign thought there had been an earthquake when I started her up. Juvenile I know, but it was great ! I forgive her everything !

So, I'm looking forward to many rides out without wires catching fire and clutches shredding themselves - she did the 140 mile round trip to work without missing a beat.

Only slight problem is that neutral was proving very elusive - a bit of a pain at traffic lights etc. I know they are notorious in this regard, but are there any adjustments to make or tips you chaps can give me ?

Matthew
Old 02-Nov-2005, 10:47
GTL

I'm having the same problem with the Corse Slipper clutch I had fitted to my 996. Its getting better when trying to find neutral from 2nd, but is still a pain from 1st. Also feels like it is not disengaging as fully as original clutch, as it takes a more positive nudge (sometimes verging on a full-blown stamp) to change gear.

I'm also wondering whether this is an adjustment issue, or whether this is normal with a slipper. Having said the above, the slipper action of the clutch on down-changes is absolutely brilliant. So, all in all, very happy with the clutch.
Old 02-Nov-2005, 11:14
GTL

Mood: I want to come home ::(:but then
Have you tried bleeding the clutch. I had this problem earlier this year but only when I had been riding for more than a hour. "The wise one" said it could be moisture in the fluid. Works perfectly now I've bled it Another way to test it is to put it on it's paddock stand, put it gear and if the rear wheel turns with the clutch depressed then it needs sorting
Old 02-Nov-2005, 11:21
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Neutral can be very elusive on my strada as well, but mainly because the neutral light tells lies.

It may be that if you've got a new clutch pack in there it might be dragging ever so slightly, which would make neutral more difficult to engage.

My ST also does it when the clutch needs bleeding.

Other than that, make sure that all the linkages and chain are correctly adjusted, cos that helps as well. I once had trouble with selecting neutral after I'd lowsided on the right hand side on a trackday. The clutch was completely undamaged, but I kept getting false neutrals and difficult gear selection after that. It turned out that the left hand footrest had somehow been loosened (I think the marshall used it to pull me out of the gravel) and it was flexing just enough to cause gear selection problems

[Edited on 2-11-2005 by Jools]