Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Mar-2012, 18:11
Mille

998S electrical gremlin

After winter service I fired up the 998s, all was well until i started playing with the switches to make sure all worked before the MoT, the headlight started to flicker when i tried high beam then all electrical items stopped (bike still ran ok)

The bike starts ok but nothing else works!

I had something similar happen while i was riding last year, I stopped at petrol station replaced all fuses (to no avail) then carried on with the ride, it all started working again!

It may of had an alarm at some stage but long since removed, some of the wiring behind the fuse box doesn't look proper!

Any ideas?
Old 11-Mar-2012, 07:42
Mille

No 12v at kill switch 7.5a fuse regardless of key on/off, side stand switch removed. Think I have narrowed it down some more.
Old 12-Mar-2012, 10:07
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknash
No 12v at kill switch 7.5a fuse regardless of key on/off, side stand switch removed. Think I have narrowed it down some more.

Whilst not having exactly the same problem, we are going to have to look at the electrics on my Sons 998S next weekend.

The DataTool alarm had been playing up because of poor fitting and a couple of wires touching. This meant for some reason hat you coldn't turn the sidelights off at all and the battery was going flat.

We have managed to isolate the alarm temporarily on Saturday afternoon - but that hasn't fixed the lights. At the sam time I found that even with the ignition key off and out the lead to the gearbox neutral switch still was showing 12V

Either we have trapped wires somewhere or someone has been at the wiring elsewhere!

We ran out of light on Saturday so will recomence next weekend.

All being well I should have located a wiring diagram by then which will allow us to trace the circuits through.

Your problem sounds like power not getting into the loom from the igniion switch - except for the engine circuit.

Chris
Old 12-Mar-2012, 10:46
Mille

Thanks for the PM's and reply. I narrowed it down to kill switch, ecu or side stand switch.

Turned out the side stand has been bypassed (very neat job with shrink wrap etc) and that was the fault.

All ready for MoT now!
Old 12-Mar-2012, 14:53
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

With a bit of digging have managed to get my hands on a wiring diagram for the 998 now. It would appear that the 998/998S and 996R all share the same wiring harness.

1st thing that is clear is that the neutral light switch wire shouldn't have power to it when the ignition is off - so we have a start of the problem solving!
Old 13-Mar-2012, 12:19
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Well, I tried reading the wiring diagram at A4 size and it is too small!

Managed to download the ownershandbook from the Ducati.com website in PDF form and on the last page was the wiring diagram. Whilst it was good to be able to zoom in you soon lost the links - so I thought I would take it into KallKwick and see if they could print it on A3 or even A1.

We had a little bit of a communication error though when they ran it through the printer though - it came out at 1.2 x 0.8M or 16 time A4!

I now have a veritable poster for the garage wall to work off next weekend - I can read it clearly from a couple of metres away!

What it has conirmed is that I think we have a problem with the main feed power not being shut off by the igniion switch and a problem in the lefthand handlebar switch - fix that and all should be ok.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00351.JPG (150.1 KB, 10 views)