Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Jul-2004, 21:44
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Chain and sprockets???

Hi guys,

Any of you know of a good place to get some chain and sprockets fitted. Would help if they could get hold of/stock the quick change rear sprocket hanger etc.

Has to be near to north london. I cant travel to far at the moment.

Cheers.

DC.
Old 29-Jul-2004, 22:32
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Whats it for mate ?? I have some genuine ducati (DID chains and AFAM sprockets) 996 kits...VERY cheap !!!

Let me know if I can help..

Nat
Old 29-Jul-2004, 22:39
500SD

Oooops forgot!

I have a Duc Bip 748. The gearing thats on it is.......14 front. 38 rear. If its not standard then i am happy with this.
Old 30-Jul-2004, 00:23
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
14/38 is standard so you'll need a 94 link 520 chain

B&C Express do excellent prices on decent chains, but I'm sure Natty will sort you out something even better!

Chains aren't too hard to fit yourself, or just pay a local mechanic about an hour or two worth of labour to do it.
Old 30-Jul-2004, 00:54
500SD

Hi again,

Thing is i will have to get a chain breaker/riviter.

I think they retail for about £85 - £90.. I am torn between investing in the tool and doing it all myself. ( Im not bothered about doing it.)
Or saving money on not getting the chain tool and getting a bike shop (Ducati dealer) to do it for me. Ho hum decisions!!!

Any how,

So standard chain length is 94 link with a 14 front and 38 rear sprocket. And thats a 520 O ring chain?

Is there any real advantage to going to a quick release sprocket carrier then? I am not planning to change over sprockets all the time.

Cheers

DC.
Old 30-Jul-2004, 02:04
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Use an angle grinder to take a couple of rivet heads off the chain and then take a link out - this is 20 seconds work and much easier than a breaking tool! You can get a chain rivetting tool for about 50 quid if you shop around. It'll probably cost you that to have a chain fitted at a dealer.

Yes, standard is 520 x 94 for 14/38 for the 748.

If you go any higher at the rear you'll need 96 links - not much difference in price to worry about though, but important to remember otherwise the chain adjusted will be in the wrong position on the eccentric cam. This messes up the rideheight and hence handling is affected.

You probably won't see a benefit from a carrier unless you change sprockets too. A carrier is between 80-120 quid depending on make then sprockets around 25 quid each. Obviously it makes sense if you want lots of different size sprockets for trackdays, etc.
Old 30-Jul-2004, 09:22
500SD

Cheers mate.
Old 30-Jul-2004, 10:08
Ducati in my Blood

DC..Ill go and have a look to see what other chains ive got mate....As Ant says, no real benefit in a quick change for you(although they do look cool!)..if you do go for it, I could do you one of these too way cheaper than retail as I may be having a few soon.

Will be back shortly!

Cheers
Nat
Old 30-Jul-2004, 10:23
Ducati in my Blood

Right DC...Ive got a (again genuine ducati) 900 Monster kit that you may be able to use. Its a 95 link 520 pitch chain, with 15T/37T sprockets. Ive not rally had much to do with chains & sprockets so hopefully Ant can advise a) if you can take a link out of te chain, and b) if the gearings any good. Anyway, at the price ill be offering it for, you can get yourself some new sprockets and still be quids in (velly good discount for past customers sir!!)

Just U2U's you bud..
Nat
Old 30-Jul-2004, 12:35
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Natty,

15/37 will be no good as it's far too high geared for the 748! Standard is 14/38 and that's too high anyway.