Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 17-Feb-2005, 18:35
Ducati Corse

Good test for Hodgy

Originally posted on Crash.net

The Parts Unlimited Ducati Austin team battled through difficult weather conditions during a two-day test at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on Tuesday and Wednesday this week.

Rain limited track time for Neil Hodgson and Eric Bostrom as they tested at the 2.238 mile (3.6 kilometer) Laguna Seca circuit, but both riders were able to spend most of Wednesday on track.

Hodgson was one of the few riders to brave the elements on Tuesday but managed just six laps as the rains fell.

Neil's best time on the second day of the test was an impressive 1min 26.42secs which was at least a whole second quicker than team-mate and AMA veteran Eric Bostrom.

As a comparison the fastest lap set last season during the Superbike race at Laguna Seca was 1min 25.961secs by Ben Bostrom on his Honda Fireblade. Hodgson's team-mate Eric Bostrom's best time during the race, which saw him take fifth place overall, was over one second slower at 1min 27.316secs. Therefore Hodgson's pace could've seen him finish in the top five.

"We achieved what we needed to get done in a short space, essentially about half a day of track time," said the former World Superbike champion. "It was a positive test and we learned a lot about the motorcycle. It already feels much like my 'old' bike I used to win the World Championship. It's going really, really well at the moment."

Hodgson previously raced at Laguna Seca in his World Superbike days and said the familiarity with the track helped him at the test.

"You need to test at a track you know. You could spend all day learning a new circuit but I know what a bike needs to do from my years racing here. Testing is all about finding your strengths and your weakest areas and we were able to do that,” he commented.

The Laguna Seca test was the final preseason trial for the Parts Unlimited Ducati Austin team.

"The first race at Daytona is somewhat of a different animal compared to the other tracks, but we'll be ready," said the Isle of Man resident.
Old 17-Feb-2005, 19:19
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Good news for Neil, he needs a boost to be fair, but maybe I am being sceptical here, he's at a track he knows relatively well, on a bike he also knows.

I think he's being realistic in some ways from his comments, because he just doesn't have the knowledge of the other circuits.

Good luck to him.
Old 17-Feb-2005, 19:20
BSB Star

I reckon he'll be in the top 5 this year, and next year he could have a real chance at winning it off that damn Aussie. I mean, we have to beat them somewhere!
Old 17-Feb-2005, 19:41
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
Don't take this wrong but an aussie would be saying "I am going to bloody win this year" not top 5 this year and win next....oh and i am not australian - i WANT Hodgson to WIN not becaise i like the guy or he is english or even a ducati rider - but i gues 'cos he has taken on a big task, which if he fails could lead to wilderness years in the racing world - if he does badly will he have to go to BSB? When he probably wants a good MOTOGP ride. good luck neil - tracks you don't know, bike you haven't used for awhile, new lifestyle and team and... you have to do well...no pressure really!
Old 17-Feb-2005, 19:47
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by misterpink
Don't take this wrong but an aussie would be saying "I am going to bloody win this year" not top 5 this year and win next....oh and i am not australian - i WANT Hodgson to WIN not becaise i like the guy or he is english or even a ducati rider - but i gues 'cos he has taken on a big task, which if he fails could lead to wilderness years in the racing world - if he does badly will he have to go to BSB? When he probably wants a good MOTOGP ride. good luck neil - tracks you don't know, bike you haven't used for awhile, new lifestyle and team and... you have to do well...no pressure really!

Did i say that?
Old 17-Feb-2005, 20:06
500SD

nope - but it sounded like that english thing of ... "we might win but top 5 is OK and go for the win next year" (beating the aussie) rather than "i hope he beats the aussie(mat mladin i guess) and by a HUUUUGE margin" OK i have to own up that being a kiwi we have a natural rivalry with our australian neighbours (where is Tp996 when you need him?) except for troy bayliss who is pretty damn good anyway i guess coming from a small country where being the underdog is normal i see the people taking on real challenges as good to support. Hodge is taking on a whole lot of stuff - the other riders know the tracks, bikes, teams etc etc GO HODGE GO! you probably feel the same flanker - i would admit that maybe you are more realistic than me though?
Old 17-Feb-2005, 20:14
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
I`m no big Hodgson fan but I`m quite looking forward to him mixing it up in the U S of A.Thank heavens for MotorsTV
Call me what you like,but BSB has lost it`s appeal for me since the Hodgson/Walker battles.
With Rossi playing mind games by "bigging up" Capirossi on the Desmo it could be an entertaining year

[Edited on 17-2-2005 by sparkin]
Old 17-Feb-2005, 20:21
BSB Star

I think the word is realistic. If he finishes in the top 5 i'm sure on reflection he'll be happy. As you and other said, he's got an up hill challenge to face. And quite a few of the US tracks take some learning, plus the safety at said tracks are not what he's used to. Look at Laguna, amount of changed they have had to make for the GP's. There is nothing stopping him winning the series, but being realistic i don't think he will. I want him to win it. Last year he got such a bad deal on the D'antin bike. He deserves better. And i think this is why Ducati gave him 2 options, and he took the taller challenge. Respect.

I want Hodgie to win, I'm a fan of his. He got my respect in 2002 on the GSE bike, coming third onky to Bayliss and Edwards, and beating people on paper he should never have.

As for Bayliss, he's one Aussie we both TP and myself agree on in sport. Who i think has made a bad choice going to Honda, time will tell. But was he to know, i don't think so. Would liked to have seen him on the 999 this year in WSBK.
Old 17-Feb-2005, 20:33
500SD

yeah--- agree with that, but the desmodue series is the one that EVERYONE is talking about - wish i was doing it - with siome careful time management skills( not looking good) i hope to be a regular supporter. I can see bernie ecclestone buying it up next year.......!
Old 19-Feb-2005, 08:34
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by sparkin
Call me what you like,but BSB has lost it`s appeal for me since the Hodgson/Walker battles.
You and me both mate.
I was given the '04 BSB dvd for Xmas and still have'nt watched it all.
I'm hoping that Leon Haslam will do the business this year.(Never been a fan of Haydon)

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit