Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 12-Jul-2004, 12:10
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
The highs and lows of racing - part 2

Following a fast developing tradition at the DSC of detailed race reports, here is mine from the weekend at Croft. As the title implies, it had it high and low points. In the end, the highs outweighed the lows by quite a long way, and so I will be going back for more as soon as possible.

This meet with Derby-Phoenix was a two day meet with me having entered the 750cc/Twins class, which is pretty well subscribed now. The grid is a good mix of 750 four cylinders, mostly Suzuki GSXR 750, and various 1000 cc twins, such as Duactis, Aprilia Milles, Suzuki TLs, and the odd Honda SP-1. I also contemplated entering the All-comers races, but opted not to as I feared it would get too hectic. My two mates that I went with, both on GSXR 750s entered both classes and in hindsight I think I will do the same next time.

We got there on Saturday morning around 7:30 AM. After signing on, scrutineering was next on the list, and then out for a few laps of practice. So far so good, although the weather was definitely threatening to take a turn for the worse. First thing in the morning, there was a slight drizzle, which dried out by the time the sidecars had their practice. At least they are good for something.

The schedule called for races 8 and 15 for the 750/twins class, which meant plenty of time to perform all the necessary checks, some of them 3 times! It's amazing how the run up to the race plays on your mind. There it is: Final call for race 8. Earplugs, helmet on, gloves on, Off with the tyre warmers, stands away, flip the toggle for the ignition, fire it up, and off to the assembly area. It helps when you have a "support crew" of wives and girlfriends, although not all mine! For the first race my late entry put me back on row 4, 16th on the grid. Lining up for the warm-up lap, the butterflys are well and truly alive. Coming around for the start, trying to line up with a somewhat clear view ahead proves futile. As the light turn red, revs up, light out, and go! I am over aggressive feeding the clutch in, bike bogs down, almost stalls, working the clutch frentically to get drive. By now, two more people have come past, but soon drive is in full flow and I pass three people into turn 1. The race was fairly uneventful, passed a couple more people over 6 laps and end up in 12th place. While happy I finished another race, I am disappointed not to get into the points, which are awarded up to 9th place. No trophy either as there are plenty of novices ahead of me. At least I got onto the third row for the afternoon's race.

Back in the garage, the usual checks again, more fuel, tyre wear, etc, etc. Take in more fluids and some food before the second race. Then: Final call for race 15. So, I am up for this one now, determined to at least get into the points, if not a novice trophy. I mean I can't have Weeksy have the only DSC race trophy now, can I? Lights are on, then off, and now get a better start. Halfway down the straight the guy next to me makes a very aggressive sideways manouver. We're bashing elbows, I hesitate a moment and he is by. This puts me wide into the first turn and another one comes by underneath me. Now, I am well cheesed off and more determined to get me head down. This race was shortend to just 4 laps due to several delays from pileups in the sidecar races. Bann 'em I say! I chase down the 'elbow basher' get passed him and a couple more lads, laying in 9th position on the last lap, poised for 3rd novice and another championship point. Right, now I am shouting to myself: Last lap, just keep it steady, watch out for do-or-die manouvers up the inside. Alright, this is working! Taking a defensive line into the hairpin before the finish line. Yes! No one came past, get the bike upright early, and nail it. What's that? Missed a gear? It won't go into gear! Engine just revs with no drive! Chain has snapped! I still have enough momentum to cruise across the finish line, but all the hard work was for naught as three people come past me. So, I end up where I started the race, in 12th. Again, no points and no trophy. I am gutted!

After pushing the bike back into the garage, I inspect the damage. Yes, chain is definitely snapped. However, I did get lucky in that the chain was laying in the belly pan and the engine cases were undamaged. Phew! That's the end of the day and I need to get the chain fixed in the morning. I get home, knackered, asleep on the sette at half past eight.

Day two:

As racing on Sundays at Croft is not allowed to start before 12:00 Noon, I had plenty of time to get the chain sorted. The weather looks decidedly questionable, but stays dry for the moment. Due to the time constraints, their is only on 10 lap race today. So, we are all set, prepared, tyre warmers at full steam, counting down the race to ours. Then, with 10 minutes to go, the heavens open up. Frentic activity ensues changing over to wets. This is not fun! You're all ready, calm, thinking about the getting the start right, the correct lines into the crucial corners, and then this. Where is the spanner crew when you most need them? Eventually, the wets are on, with the correct tyre pressure, well a guess anyway. It's just in time for the final call for the race. Now, I am super nervous, having never ridden let alone raced on wets! We are in the assembly area for what seems like ages. We finally make it out on the track and encounter further delays due some mud clearing on the track. Sitting on the grid for about 7-8 minutes actually helps to calm down somewhat. Eventually we're off on the warm-up lap getting wheelspin through third gear down the straight in the wet. Coming around, I line up in 12th place, light come on, go off and water everywhere. The start goes better than expected and I hold my place. I did loose two place on the first lap as I was very cautious racing in the wet. Then, I remember the advice from the European Superbike school 3 years ago. With wets, you simply go as hard as you would on standard road tyres in the dry. OK, let's try some of that! Blimey, it's amazing the amount of grip you get on wets! I am starting to wheelie out of the hairpin in first and second gear, getting my knee down in several corners, and picking off people at a good rate. By now, I am feeling very comfortable in the conditions and I know I have moved up considerably. In the closing laps I have a great fight with Simon Kelly on TL1000, swapping positions before gaining the upper hand for good and passing another rider. Now, I am thinking this is not so bad and the last lap flag will soon be out. I am saying to myself, just keep it steady, don't let anyone come by on the last lap. I am coming around the hairpin again onto to start finish straight looking for the last lap flag. Instead, the checkered flag waves. Yes! Yes! I made it to the finish. I punch the air with elation even though I had no idea where I finish. It didn't matter at that moment.

Back in the garage, we're all giddy with excitement about having had a great race in the wet. Soon the results are posted and I finished in 4th place overall, first novice. And to top it off, I recorded the fastest lap of the race! That's a trophy and 6 championship points!

Ah, the highs and lows of racing...

I met a few new faces, Simon Kelly and Steve Sarson (Chunk) to name but two. Steve lined up on the grid next to me in the last race, but he had a dreadful weekend, having crashed on Saturday resulting in a heavily bruised knee. Also, many thanks to Ray and Guido who turned up to watch. It's always good to see some friendly and familiar faces in the paddock.

Aside from the chain snapping, the bike ran flawlessly and was absolutely superb in the rain. It was on rails and could have gone faster, I am certain. Oh, and David Cook: Many thanks for that free rear wet tyre!

And lastly, I don't have anything against sidecars. Honest!
Old 12-Jul-2004, 12:24
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
4th overall, 1st Novice and fastest lap fantastic Felix
I like the idea of the one longer race on the Sunday when running to time constraints, this was something that I and a few other riders discussed at Thruxton yesterday, certainly appears to be the sensible option.
Old 12-Jul-2004, 13:00
Ducati Meccanica

Here is the beast safely tucked away again. It just needs a good clean and servicing.

What pleased me most was the fastest lap. I was actually just over 2 seconds faster than the race winner and even faster than the 250 strokers which were on the same grid with 15 second delayed start.

Yes, skidslids, I agree the one longer race is far, far better than 2 races of say 4 laps. That's crap! While 10 laps translating into roughly 20 miles was long, especially in the rain, it allows you to "work" the race.

[Edited on 12-7-2004 by Felix]
Old 12-Jul-2004, 13:15
Mille

Mood: Yoi
Brilliant work Felix
Old 12-Jul-2004, 13:17
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Fantastic Felix, chuffed to bits for you mate. Bloody good effort.

Now, my wife has asked you all to stop posting about your racing efforts so she stops getting all the questions and it doesn't ruin her plans to clean out Tiffanies!

TP
Old 12-Jul-2004, 13:30
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
From a spectators point of view The organisers at croft seemed to have the job well sorted. Bike only park, helpful staff, etc.

I couldn't believe how big the grids were on Sunday, most were full, 40 Bikes?? Some classes had heats for a final and the F600 class had a reserve list. A few of the races were shortened to keep to time. Later races on the sunday were all 10 lappers. Despite the rain later in the day there was plenty of on track battling.

Just before the 750/twins race, 20 plus bikes? with about a dozen 125/250 smoke machines set off 15 seconds behind,there was a problem with the track and in an instant the track was being powerwashed and swept!!

Stayed on in the rain to see Felix race and it was worth it. In the last few last he was flying, maybe taking 15 seconds out of the Novice class leader to pass him on the last lap along with a couple of others. The commentator seemed impressed as well!!

Well done Felix, hope ya Gixer riding Buddies can sit down after their kicking on Sunday!!

Respec' to all club racers.

Is October the month for the DSC Donnington showdown??!!

Ray
Old 12-Jul-2004, 14:06
Ducati Meccanica

Ray, great idea about a DSC race day at Donnington. Let's have all the DSC club racers sign up for the 750/twins class with Derby Phoenix! It would be fantastic! How about it lads? Weeksy, Skidlids, WJB, Chris.p? Who have I forgotten? Maybe a few new novices? TP-996?
Old 12-Jul-2004, 14:15
Big Twin

Mood: http://www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy
yup, i'll be there for Donny

and me,buy i will be playing with the F600 boys..
Old 12-Jul-2004, 14:28
Ducati Meccanica

Ian, was that you I met at Croft? I am sorry if I seemed rushed and did not take proper time to talk.
Old 12-Jul-2004, 14:29
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
Cracking result Felix. Well done!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit