Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Jan-2011, 21:45
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
If its housed in a 998 chassis with a 998 airbox then yes you should be able to see the shower injectors spitting out a bit of fuel as it builds up on the back of the throttle butterflies.
I usually use a spare spark plug rather than remove one from the engine, doesn't need to be the right one so long as the plug cap fits on it or the stick coil if yourusing them

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 27-Jan-2011, 23:35
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
How long ago since it last ran?

If it has been sat for a long time the fuel may have gone off.

My 998 always needs some help in the form of a set of jump leads and fresh fuel to awake from its winter slumbers.

Ray.
Old 28-Jan-2011, 00:30
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
998(9)

I have tried another tank to see if the pump was not working properly and same result. As stated before it went to alta mura for its wheels to be done I think it was running fine. It was there for about three weeks and the tank off most of the time. They covered the inlet trumpets though. Then cold and damp for a while. So obviously it is holding out for a holiday to Bologna!!

Used a jump lead. Have not got the spark plugs out largely because the Ducati supplied tool does not seem to fit. So will check them.

I should say of course that it is the same engine as the 996R, (bore stroke, compression) except it seems they squeezed a little more HP out of the 999s engine. Other than that it is all 998.

Few more items to add to the list. Possibley moisture in the petrol as neither tank had "fresh petrol". However would image you would get a few splutters out of it at least.
Old 13-Feb-2011, 22:28
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

new relays, voltage tester, changed tanks, changed fuel, changed battery, pulled out fuel pump, checked, checked fuses, etc.........

after each one tried to start it. Nothing. Went away, came back and it just started.

Put it in the garage. Wouldn't start.

********. Then started with voltage meter. Noticed the wiring shroud for the fule pump connector was damaged. Checked this. Brown wire had been solder an the solder had broken......problem found.
Now working beautifully.
Old 13-Feb-2011, 23:26
MotoGP God

Any idea why it was soldered or who by

Old 14-Feb-2011, 10:43
500SD

The only reason I can think of is that the wire was crushed or broken whentrying to ge tthe tank off. Perhaps pulled the tank and forgot to disconnect the fuel pump connector. The shroud round the wires appeared to be damaged. Looked like it had been torn.
However as with all these situations you learn something.
Know how to test electrical circuits, use a volt meter, how to check and change the fuel pump, reuse the o ring, etc. Just annoying though.
Old 14-Feb-2011, 11:17
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
its nearly always something simple, just frustrating it takes so long to find it!!
Old 15-Feb-2011, 00:55
MotoGP God

I've come across a few problems caused by people removing alarms or having them removed. Usually they are cut into the fuel and starter circuits and when removed the remaking of the circuit can be a bit of a bodge at times