Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 22-Nov-2004, 15:39
BSB Star

Bayliss Confirmed

As expected, the Camel Honda team has today officially announced that it will field Troy Bayliss and Alex Barros in the 2005 MotoGP world championship. Both riders will be using Michelin tyres.

"For the third consecutive year, the prestigious Camel brand will take part in the MotoGP world championship," confirmed Roberto Zanni, worldwide marketing and sales senior vice-president at JT International. "The thrilling exploits of the Camel Honda team will continue in earnest in 2005, with a brand new line-up.

"We welcome our two new riders, Troy Bayliss and Alex Barros, to whom I wish a season full of satisfaction and success. I would like to thank Honda for lending their support once more, and for having contributed to the continuity of our MotoGP project.

"I am certain that the RC211V, our team, and our riders will hold the Camel name up high next season, on the long and challenging road that is the MotoGP world championship," he concluded.

Bayliss, World Superbike champion in 2001, joins Camel Honda after spending his first two years competing in the premier GP class with the factory Ducati team.

The exciting Australian scored four podium finishes in that time, although a maiden MotoGP victory has so far eluded him. Troy will be assisted in 2005 by Santiago Mulero, as his head technician, and Ramón Aurín, as his telemetry engineer.

Barros will be returning to the Spanish based team after having spent four seasons with Honda Pons from 1999 to 2002, during which time he won 5 GPs and scored 14 podium finishes.

The Brazilian - one of the most experienced riders in the paddock, with over 240 GPs to his name - rode for the factory Repsol Honda outfit this year and will continue to work alongside Ramón Forcada, his head technician for the 2004 season, and with whom he worked throughout his previous time with Honda Pons. Lluis Lleonart will be his telemetry engineer.

[Edited on 22-11-2004 by flanker]
Old 22-Nov-2004, 15:47
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I think thats bad for Troy. He's on the best bike he could be on after being ditched from Ducati but I fear he'll be down the pecking order like Edwards this year. With Barros in the team I daresay he would even be number 2 in the team!

I sincerely hope not.

Good luck next year Troy!!
Old 22-Nov-2004, 15:51
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
i thinks its good for him really, but he has to perform now.there really wont be much of an excuse. if he's getting done by both ducati's in some of the races he's going to look a bit of a plum
Old 22-Nov-2004, 15:57
BSB Star

Least it's a better bet than some of the rides about m8.

As you say, he might well be down the pecking order, with Honda supplying only 3 top RCV's, resting being hand me downs.

Depends on contracts, and Barros being a refugee from HRC, he might not be on a good bike, although unlikely.

Who knows, but least he should be in the right end of the paddock. And I think this was the best ride he could have got. Lets hope he has a good season, and gets a better offer for '06. Edwards has faired the best out of the SBK riders for next year, being in the top yammi squad.

If Pons is fielding 2 bikes, where's Tamada gone? His bike and team leased 1 of Pons grid positions? The previous year was 1 of D'Antin's. Are D'Antin fielding 1 bike only?
Old 22-Nov-2004, 15:59
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Personally I think that's fantastic news for Troy, he's getting the best bike in GP, admittedly probably not the top spec, so should do OK.

As for comparing him to Edwards this year, well didn't Edwards get a 2nd at Donny? Didn't he finish pretty high up the order?

My only worry is if Troy can't finish high up, or at least ahead of Chucca, then his GP days might well be numbered
Old 22-Nov-2004, 16:01
MotoGP God

Yes and no. Look at Edwards this year - he was 6th or whatever in the pecking order and effectively got a crap bike!

To people who didn't realise that Edwards was being penetrated without consent by Mr Honda they would have thought that the former 2 times world champ was a world chump! But ... it didn't stop the Telefonica team from wanting to keep him (they knew he was a better development rider than Sete) and it certainly didn't stop Yamaha from wanting to draft him in to be Rossi's team mate.

If Troy gets decent bits and doesn't perform he should retire to the AMA. If he doesn't get decent bits and doesn't perform then he'll probably be out the door - maybe off to AMA but he needs to be careful ... he's not a spring chicken ..
Old 22-Nov-2004, 16:05
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by jpmercer
As for comparing him to Edwards this year, well didn't Edwards get a 2nd at Donny? Didn't he finish pretty high up the order?

He had a higher placing in one race. When Bayliss finished the race he consistently finished ahead of Edwards. Colin said himself that he was consistently nobbled at every turn, which is why he went to Yamaha even in the knowledge that the Honda is the better bike. HIS Honda wasn't the better bike however. When they gave him the forks he wanted he finished second.

When Bayliss got the forks he wanted he got on the podium too ...
Old 22-Nov-2004, 20:41
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Confirmed indeed...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...es/4032749.stm

About the best deal he could got I think....
Old 22-Nov-2004, 22:21
Mille

So whats happening with Tamada? I thought he had a pretty good season.
Old 23-Nov-2004, 00:49
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
Troy will be on the No 2 Camel Honda I guess, as Barros has better sponsorshippotential and much better Honda contact - so not a great ride for TB. The HRC contract with Repsol states that there can be only one other bike in both Telfonica and Repsol that is of the same specification as the HRC/Repsol team bike. HRC/Repsol get first dibs on anything new with Biaggi first, Hayden second, likely Sete 3rd, Barros 4th, Troy maybe 5th.

The talk is that Tamada will stay on a Honda, - a 7th RCV on the grid !!!!! - and on Michelins as Bridgestone have done their deal with Ducati, Suzuki and Kawasaki.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit